Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We are currently seeking a full-time Bioinformaticist II with experience in the analysis and reduction of proteomic, metabolomic, and metagenomic data sets. This full-time position is located in Columbus, Ohio. Some domestic and international travel is anticipated.
Technical leadership and support of laboratory and field studies in the analysis of proteomic, metabolomic, (meta)transcriptomic, and (meta)genomic data sets.
- Designing, planning, and leading experiments within time and budget constraints of small teams of scientists and technical support staff involving:
- examining the impact of environmental pollutants and conditions on biodegradation of various materials;
- analysis of (meta)genomic, (meta)transcriptomic, (meta)proteomic, amplicon library, and metabolomic data;
- ability to detect and characterize metabolic pathways with KEGG, SEED, BioCyc, or equivalent functional annotation system
- Presenting and reporting technical progress and results
- Assisting in preparing scientific journal publications and presenting at professional meetings
- Assisting in the development of proposals, marketing plans and identifying business opportunities
Additionally, the selected candidate will be expected to guide and train other technical staff, as well as to perform certain administrative functions, as necessary, to ensure smooth functioning of experiments and timely distribution of program deliverables. Domestic and potential international travel is anticipated.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Ph. D. (or MS and 5 years experience or BS and 10 years experience) in bioinformatics, microbiology, or related biological sciences with a focus on bioinformatics practice
- Experience/proven ability to script and code using R, Python, and/or Bash/Unix shell
- Experience installing, maintaining, and operating open-source bioinformatics software
- Experience/proven ability to utilize functional annotation systems for metabolic pathway discovery and characterization
- Familiarity with genomic resource databases (e.g., RefSeq, UniProt, Ensembl, GenBank, Integrated Microbial Genomes, or UCSC Genome Browser)
- U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances as a condition of employment
- Sufficiently medically fit to work in the laboratory and in the field to perform assigned duties
- The ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to independently solve problems and rapidly on-board new analysis pipelines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working within laboratory quality management systems (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO17025, GLP)
- Experience/proven ability to use short read classification systems such as MG-RAST
- Experience with R data science packages such as tidyverse and ggplot2 or their Python equivalents (pandas, matplotlib, etc.)
- Experience with (meta)genome assembly and annotation
- Experience with tools for analysis of molecular phylogeny
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
In compliance with President Biden’s Executive Order 14042 and the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force COVID-19 Workplace Safety: Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors, Battelle requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and continued employment and to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated. Battelle will provide reasonable accommodations based on a qualified disability or medical condition through the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act or for a sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and related state laws).
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.
Battelle is an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers