Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Battelle’s Trust and Assurance Cyber Analytics Department is responsible for developing unique embedded security solutions for government and industrial customers. We are seeking a Network and System Scientist to work in our Columbus, Ohio location. You will work with a diverse group of people from many quantitative disciplines such as physics, computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, systems biology, and mathematics.
The interdisciplinary nature of our work requires the integration of data-driven approaches with engineered and natural systems. This includes applications ranging from tracking system weaknesses between modalities, to creating an integrated risk assessment and assurance model at the system of systems level. We are looking for candidates from a variety of backgrounds including systems engineering, systems biology, network science, or complex systems. Regardless of the discipline, a successful candidate will have thought deeply about and worked with networked data with emergent behaviors.
Interest in cybersecurity is a must, but experience in cybersecurity is not necessary. No matter where you start from, we value your unique perspective and have a culture that supports continual learning, creativity, and risk-taking.
- Aid in the construction of systems models in the realms of cyber security, supply chain, and industrial processes (as well as other domains across Battelle)
- Aid in the development of description languages and ontologies to support system model construction
- Aid in the design and implementation of analysis tools, machine learning and data engineering techniques applied to cyber security problems
- Learn and become fluent in the details of security related domains in order to devise data driven solutions – this can range from software fuzzing to micro-electronic supply chain analysis
- Improve existing techniques and devise new techniques to solve security data problems
- Independently propose and develop creative solutions to unique problems, potentially leading internal research projects
- Identify and articulate strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions and problem approaches during technical discussions
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- A PhD that demonstrates analytical sophistication (Statistics, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Quantitative Social Sciences, Computational Biology or similar) with 0-2 years’ experience, Master’s degree with 2 years’ experience, Bachelor’s degree with 5 years’ experience, or related work experience
- Experience with networks or systems structures
- Demonstrated experience developing in either Python or R
- Experience solving complex data problems
- Experience applying machine learning, statistics and/or data mining techniques
- Excitement about learning new technical subject areas and curiosity about cyber security problems
- Must be a sole US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a US government security clearance
- Experience using and designing ontologies, taxonomies or other logical frameworks
- Experience with deep learning methodologies or probabilistic graphical models
- Experience in vulnerability analysis in a network context
- Active Secret or Top-Secret Clearance
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
As a condition of employment, Battelle will inquire about COVID vaccination status, and in the event that vaccinations are mandated at a work location (including client site and Battelle sites) we expect all candidates to comply with these required safety protocols.
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers