Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
The Payload Unit Lead/Genome Engineering Team Lead (internal Biologist III) working on-site in Columbus, OH will participate in directing and planning research and development focusing on genome editing technology. This lead role will have an impact on advancing and expanding the company's technology platform for genetic medicine product development. The candidate will have a strong background in genome editing and a proven record of pioneering technology and developing methods. In addition to proposing and implementing research projects in a team environment, the candidate will make critical go/no-go decisions regarding these projects. This is an exciting and fast-paced position that will lead to new patents, journal publications, and most importantly new therapies for patients.
- Establish vision and focus for the Payload team
- Recruit exceptional talent to fill critical roles
- Lead team efforts to establish genome targeting platform capabilities
- Develop new gene editing and gene regulation technologies
- Communicate advances via publishing in high impact journals and presenting at key conferences
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Demonstrated ability to build and run highly effective research teams in a biotechnology environment including a quality by design mindset
- Consistently acts as a “leader and a coach”; meets employees where they are at and leads with active listening, inquiry, openness, heart, and positive intention. Has the crucial conversations in a constructive way to move the business forward, challenges and influences at all levels, including our most senior levels
- Ability to motivate new directions in platform development for genome and cell engineering, and to reduce strategic initiatives to actionable plans
- Strong publication record demonstrating leadership in the field of genome and cell engineering
- Exceptional communication skills: ability to present effectively to management and teams with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work within BSL2 lab environment.
- Applicants for this position must be a U.S. Person, as defined by U.S. export control laws.
- Experience running a genome targeting platform team
- Sufficient understanding of the principles and methods of directed evolution to productively manage a directed evolution team
- Strong background in statistics and probability theory
- Strong understanding of the energetics and kinetics of macromolecular folding and recognition processes
- Experience with sequence analysis for characterization of gene editing outcomes
- Background in delivery technologies as well as tissue culture skills
- Ability to deliver results consistently and effectively, and quickly adapt to changing business conditions – Routinely and visibly drives execution, both individually and through others, while balancing getting things done while seeking input and ideas from others. Has a demonstrated track record of delivering results.
- Demonstrated ability to create a culture that aligns with our Battelle Values and leverages diverse perspectives and experiences
- Ability to communicate across all levels of an organization and efficiently coordinate activities with both internal and external customers.
- High degree of self-motivation
- Demonstrated track record in attract, develop talents – Is a talent magnet; consistently attracts and hires the best and develops & mentors talent across the organization (not just on own team)
- Proven track-record of organizational leadership, functional buildup and management
- Ph.D. degree in formulation or pharmaceutical sciences, or a closely related engineering or scientific discipline is required.
- 5+ years of experience is preferred in academic research and/or industry or equivalent combination of education and work experience; expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
As a condition of employment, Battelle will inquire about COVID vaccination status, and in the event that vaccinations are mandated at a work location (including client site and Battelle sites) we expect all candidates to comply with these required safety protocols.
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers