Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
This position is eligible for a sign-on bonus for external candidates.
Battelle is seeking a Clinical Veterinarian II to perform non-surgical and surgical procedures, veterinary care, and physiologic evaluations associated with sponsored preclinical study execution and research and development objectives. Position is located in West Jefferson, OH. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Battelle’s high regard for our employees. The position requires clinical experience with laboratory animal species, proficiency in qualitative and quantitative clinical evaluations and competency with surgical techniques and the acquisition of new procedural skills.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to the daily care and clinical oversight/support of research animals, disease diagnosis and study support in ABSL-2 and ABSL-3 research areas at Battelle
- Contribute veterinary insight to IACUC protocols and procedures
- Development and refinement of various veterinary procedures
- Contribute to maintaining compliance with various regulatory agencies and assist with inspections and renewals of accreditations and certifications
- Engage with other veterinarians to maintain and advance the veterinary program and health and welfare of the research animals, including proper study recruitment, preventative medicine, veterinary care, health record maintenance, husbandry, health surveillance, and use of in vivo models in biomedical research
- Remaining informed of, and responsive to, regulatory changes
- Use controlled substances with lab animals and be responsible for maintaining appropriate records
- Demonstrate ability to adapt to the unique challenges of fast-paced research environments
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- DVM/VMD degree from an AVMA-accredited institution
- Licensure to practice veterinary medicine in at least one U.S. state
- USDA accreditation or application submitted within 1 month of hire
- 2 years of laboratory animal experience in an academic or industrial setting.
- U.S. citizenship required. CDC Select Agent, DOJ Risk Assessment.
- Laboratory experience working with in vivo models.
- Position requires the ability to work in environments with a high priority focused on biosecurity, attention to detail, and timeliness. Individual must demonstrate persistence and energy in a dynamic, fast-paced, and demanding work environment.
- Willingness to learn at a rapid pace in results oriented, teamwork environment.
- Requires ability to work weekends on a rotational on-call basis.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, sufficient for accurate transmission of information internally within team and across the organization.
- Work may involve the use of potentially hazardous materials or may be located in areas where such materials are used. Work requires the use of personal protective equipment and adherence to strict safety protocols.
- Must be willing to participate in a medical health surveillance program and be able to wear personal protective equipment as required.
- Visual Demands – Must be able to read and see clearly. Prescription eye wear is allowed.
- ACLAM/ECLAM Board certified or completion of a laboratory animal training program.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
As a condition of employment, Battelle will inquire about COVID vaccination status, and in the event that vaccinations are mandated at a work location (including client site and Battelle sites) we expect all candidates to comply with these required safety protocols.
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers