Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We are currently seeking a Program Manager, Life Science Research. This position is located in Columbus (West Jefferson), OH.
Battelle’s Clinical & Non-Clinical Research team offers a staff of highly trained scientist and technicians, and state of the art facilities to support our clients’ toxicology, safety pharmacology, infectious disease, and inhalation research programs. Our multidisciplinary integrated approach to providing critical solutions for our pharmaceuticals, biotech, agrichemical, industrial, and government clients increases the speed of the development while maintaining quality and compliance.
This position will serve as a project/program manager in a matrixed organization which requires coordination of project team members. This includes task plan development and the implementation and management of task cost, schedule and performance, and meeting client expectations.
- Defines task requirements and identifies all elements of cost, schedule and technical performance. Develops and/or refines the Work Breakdown Structure to a level sufficient to identify all the work required for task or project completion.
- Serves as the point of contact for both scientific and financial discussions with clients in both infectious disease and toxicology related fields. Hosts client visits for programs on pharmaceutical safety assessment as well as efficacy testing.
- Manages cost, schedule and performance using standard program management tools such as MS Project. Assigns work to task team members. Assesses the task impact of scope, schedule and budget change requests and takes requisite action. Ensures that the task is maintained within the scope, budget and schedule of the baseline agreement.
- Contributes to proposal efforts by drafting language that describes the problem to be solved, the proposed management approach to solving the problem and the benefits to the client of using this approach.
- Has a working knowledge of contractual issues relative to the task being managed relevant to scope of the work, deliverables required and their scheduling.
- Prepares and presents presentations to internal management and to external customers to provide reviews and updates on technical aspects, cost, and schedule.
- Has a basic understanding of risk management fundamentals and terminology. Applies processes and procedures to identify, analyze, classify and mitigate the prioritized project risks.
- Applies safety standards and procedures to complete safety checks and verifies compliance with the safety plans of a task. Is knowledgeable regarding regulations and policies on workplace safety, and actively incorporates safe workplace practices into task work.
- Stays abreast of Project Management best practices. Understands, embraces and executes relevant Quality Systems and applicable industry regulations. Maintains a basic understanding of and ensures compliance with applicable government and industry regulations.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in a biological/life sciences or other relevant field (and 3+ yrs exp), or a Bachelor’s degree in the biological/life sciences plus 7 years’ experience in managing programs in the life sciences field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated project management skills with ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external counterparts.
- Understanding of government accounting practices, WBS, Gantts, CLINS, etc.
- Experience with Planisware or other relevant project management softwa