Research Scientist (GC/FPD/MSD Operator)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Research Scientist (GC/FPD/MSD Operator) This position is located in Pueblo Colorado.
The Research Scientist conducts technical activities with a minimum of direction and broadly applies principles, theories and concepts as applied to sample analysis, data interpretation, and sample reporting at the PCAPP laboratory. The selected candidate is recognized for expertise in instrumental analysis and is responsible for individual projects or large portions of projects as assigned and provides solutions to an extensive range of complicated problems. The candidate interacts with clients, making presentations of project progress or results as appropriate.
- Conducts and/or participates in assigned technical tasks in support of complex multi-disciplinary technical projects, which may include: dilute agent standards program, chemical agent neutralization processes, waste water treatment of Hydrolysate and bio-effluent, thermal treatment processes, and air sampling and analysis to meet data quality objectives.
- Participates in laboratory initiated technical projects to evaluate method efficacy and efficiency, develops laboratory operating procedures, prepares technical specifications, and extrapolates and interprets technical data for completeness, reasonableness and fit.
- Participates in the development of materials for presentation of results to clients, regulators, stakeholders, and in public forums. Participates in scientific conferences, peer review panels, and increases company visibility through publications, as necessary.
- Conducts quality and peer review of laboratory generated data, work flow assessments, write and review technical laboratory documents, analyze data integrity and trends, and drafts the required government correspondence memos.
- Conducts routine preventive maintenance and corrective maintenance on highly specialized laboratory equipment, recommends and justifies evaluation of new products to meet business requirements within the lab.
- Builds relationships with internal and external clients and is recognized as subject matter expert by external stakeholders (CDPHE, OPCW, ACWA, etc.) in all facets of sample preparation, analysis, and reporting for the responsible area of study.
- Assists in the development requirements of the labs technical scope associated with the agent standards program. Candidate shall identify required staffing, materials, equipment and schedule elements necessary to execute work.
- Assigns, trains and mentors less experienced technical staff.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or equivalent scientific field of study with minimum of five (5) years analytical laboratory experience, a MS with two (2) years equivalent experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge in instrumental methods of analysis including gas chromatographic analysis (IC, ICP-MS, P&T, and HPLC) required.
- Previous toxic material handling, wet chemistry and EPA methods (8260, 8270, 9045, 9012, 8081, and 6020) highly desired.
- Excellent PC skills which may include database entry/management (e.g. Windows OS, Access, MS Office Suite).
Additional selection and retention criteria will include the ability to:
- Must be a US Citizen. The selected applicant may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet and maintain eligibility requirements to be placed in a Public Trust Position. In addition, applicant selected may be subject to qualification in accordance with Army Regulation 50-6, for placement in the U.S. Army Chemical personnel Reliability Program (CPRP).
- Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities. This position may be required to work a schedule day shift (8-10 hours nominally) five (5) days per week.
- Drug-free workplace; urine testing for drugs are mandatory.
- This position involves work near or with toxic and hazardous materials and requires ability to wear protective clothing/mask. Must be clean-shaven; must wear seat belts when driving or riding in vehicles on post.
- PCAPP is subject to Army Regulations (AR50-6 Chemical Surety Program and AR190-59 Unescorted Access Program) which govern persons performing work under the Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (CPRP) and Unescorted Access Program (UAP). Eligibility to be placed in a CPRP or UAP position requires US citizenship. Employees must favorably complete a series of screenings to include but not limited to: a National Agency Check with Local Agency Check and Credit Check (NACLC) security investigation, drug/alcohol testing and medical examination.
- PCAPP operates on a 24/7 schedule. This position may be required to work a schedule of rotating shifts including nights, weekends or holidays. All employees are subject to and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment for the duration of their assignment. Respiratory screening and the ability to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) may be required for this position. The ability to obtain/maintain access to the Pueblo Chemical Depot is required.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Strong working laboratory experience performing routing analysis using GC/FPD and GC/MSD.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers