Laboratory Intern (Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Laboratory Intern. This position is located in Richmond, KY.
Battelle’s Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP) group specializes in the chemistry and engineering of a first-of-a-kind processing facility that will destroy the last of the United States stockpiled arsenal of cold-war-era chemical weapons, in compliance with international treaty. This position is available for summer 2018.
- Drafting laboratory operating procedures and analytical methods.
- Setting up analytical or air monitoring instrumentation in support laboratory operations.
- Generation of instrument log books.
- Preparation of chemical reagents. Tracking, trending and organization of laboratory chemical and supply inventory.
- Organization of electronic laboratory records and hard copy instrument results using existing filing schemes.
- Identification of equipment, supplies and consumables to augment existing laboratory as identified by new operational requirements.
- Perform literature searches for technical information and generation of technical white papers, as required.
- Test samples in support of laboratory commissioning and startup or plant systemization.
- Perform assigned technical tasks and activities in a timely manner as requested.
- Improve performance in technical activities through on-the-job training and study including tending internal technical meetings and reviews as assigned.
- Periodic automobile travel to test sites will be required.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Students must be actively pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in hard sciences with at least two years of undergraduate coursework completed.
- Minimum GPA 3.0.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Applicant must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proven capability to work with minimal guidance.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must be a US Citizen. The applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet and maintain eligibility requirements to be placed in a Public Trust Position.
- Drug-free workplace; urine testing for drugs are mandatory.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software
- College coursework in instrumental analysis is a plus
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers