Neurotechnology Engineering Intern/Co-op (Spring 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Neurotechnology Intern to support Battelle’s Consumer, Industrial, and Medical group. This group is made up of accomplished researchers in Medical Device and Diagnostic programs, including the NeuroLife program featured in the media including CBS This Morning, CNN, the Washington Post, and many others. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
The selected candidate will participate in multidiscipline-teams that we form around each project and dedicate to achieving that project’s goal. Our team-based approach means you will work side-by-side with Electrical, Mechanical, and Systems Engineers; Electrical and Mechanical Designers and Technicians; Industrial Designers and Human Factors Engineers; Material Scientists, and any other disciplines needed for each project. Your coworkers will range from other co-ops/interns and new graduates to those with 30+ years of experience. The unique backgrounds and work experiences brought by each team member lends diversity to the development process, which results in both product innovation as well as an engaging work environment.
The ideal candidate will have be an engineering or science student who has experience through internships or coursework in both engineering and physical/life science disciplines. Experience in neural devices and/or medical device design is preferred. The responsibilities of this position include supporting team members in conducting experiments, including data acquisition and analysis, assembly and fabrication of prototypes and equipment. Some additional facets of product development such as concept generation, design and prototyping may be possible pending project work load and candidate’s abilities.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Must be enrolled in a university or college and actively pursuing a BA/BS or MS in an Electrical Engineering, Biotechnology or related field.
- Must be at least a junior and have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Proficiency in mathematical software tools (e.g. Matlab, MathCAD, etc.) and Microsoft Office software
- Industrial work experience, project work, training or coursework in one or more of the following: clinical studies, neural devices, medical devices, signal processing, data analysis, analog and digital circuit design and analysis, and embedded programming.
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Proven ability to successfully work independently or as part of a larger team
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with basic electronics laboratory equipment and circuit board layout design tools for schematic capture, PC-based analysis and simulation tools, oscilloscopes, signal generators, power supplies and multi-meters
- Experience with Neurotechnology preferred
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers