Junior Applied Programmer
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Junior Applied Programmer. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
This individual will be expected to demonstrate a high motivation for success, ability to deliver solid, well-designed, defensible computer code, and the ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams with other highly motivated individuals. The candidate is expected to assume the following primary job responsibilities:
- Develop, test, document, and maintain computer code for deadline driven projects.
- Consistently follow software development life cycle practices
- Communicate on a regular basis with project leaders and team members including mathematicians, statisticians, and computer scientists.
- Write user documentation and write clear, concise comments within programs.
- Continued job performance improvement through on-the-job training and outside study.
- Minimal domestic travel.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency required. Candidates must be able to obtain Security clearances as required by client.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Mathematics, or Statistics with a strong Computer Science minor
- 0 – 2 Years of demonstrated work experience
- Demonstrated competency in object-oriented programming with a language such as Java/J2EE or C#
- Demonstrated competency in relational databases such as MySQL, SQL Server or Oracle
- Demonstrated competency in Development Tools (e.g., Visual Studio, NetBeans, IntelliJ, Eclipse, etc.).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet competing deadlines successfully
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with User Interface and User Experience design and implementation
- Competency in SAS, S+, R, C, C++
- Experience with Linux-based Operating Systems (e.g., Ubuntu, RedHat, etc.)
- Experience participating in the requirements gathering process, providing user documentation, and writing clear, concise comments within programs.
- Experience with cloud computing technologies as well as associated service providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Microsoft Azure.
- Experience using version control software (e.g., Git, Subversion, Mercurial, etc.).
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers