Public Health Research Technician
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest in our knowledge, talents, and resources, helping our customers achieves their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, make the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology, and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Public Health Research Technician. This position is located in Baltimore, Maryland.
The incumbent will support a variety of tasks and activities as a Public Health Research Technician engaging in clinical and survey operations research. Tasks will be closely supervised by senior laboratory/research management staff. The incumbent will be responsible for study related support, providing coverage for clinical research operations, data entry and verification, and development of study specific materials. Familiarity with survey and research methodology and a detail oriented approach are essential to success in this position.
- Answering laboratory phones and conducting phone screening to identify eligible participants, scheduling participant appointments
- Support various methods of data collection from human subjects in a laboratory setting outside of biological specimens, including implementing clinical research protocols, administering subject questionnaires
- Obtaining signed informed consent and answering basic questions from participants about the nature, scope, risks, and benefits of study participation
- Enter study data and provide independent verification of other staff’s entry work to ensure a high level of data quality
- Collecting urine, saliva samples, and basic vitals from human research participants using standard data collection techniques
- Processing collected biological samples through centrifugation and pipetting, with proper labeling and storage of samples
- Assisting with laboratory inventory of supplies or samples
- Perform assigned technical tasks in a timely manner, as requested.
- Perform job duties with discretion and professionalism.
- Ability to treat as highly confidential, all data and information collected as part of day-to-day lab operations.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- 0-2 years’ experience working in a research or survey research environment that might have included recruiting participants, implementing study protocols, conducting and/or providing quality control of data entry tasks, interfacing directly with study participants, providing general administrative support to projects, and handling of specimens/biologic samples.
- Associate’s degree or relevant prior experience
- Proficiency in MS Office (particularly Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Conscientious work ethic, extreme attention to detail and reliability.
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing) skills as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to support multiple tasks simultaneously.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: epidemiology, biological sciences, psychology, behavioral medicine, sociology, or a related field.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers