Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s Technical On-site Professional Services (TOPS) is a part of the Contract Research business within Battelle providing laboratory support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We are currently seeking Virus Reference Team Project and Data Manager for the Influenza Virologic Surveillance Program. The position is located in the Influenza Division (ID) of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Office of Infectious Disease (OID).
We are currently seeking a Data Manager. This position is located on the CDC Roybal Campus in Atlanta, Georgia.
TOPS is working with HHS/CDC in supporting efforts for improvement of influenza surveillance and pandemic preparedness. The CDC ID provides critical standards for influenza surveillance and pandemic preparedness to the U.S. State Public Health Laboratories and acts as a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Center supporting The Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS) . Rapid genetic and antigenic characterization of circulating influenza viruses coupled with vaccine development are essential components to the control of seasonal influenza and improve pandemic readiness and response. TOPS is supporting CDC in research and development efforts to eliminate data gaps in influenza surveillance by increasing the diagnostic and virus characterization tools available to clinical providers, public health laboratories, vaccine manufacturers and domestic and international partners. The position is within the Virus Reference Team (VRT) of the Virology, Surveillance and Diagnosis Branch (VSDB) of the Influenza Division. This position requires a candidate with expertise in data collection, analyses, management, interpretation and reporting using a variety of technologies.
Expertise in project management and data analyses are crucial in order to conduct studies for complex virus characterization data so that timely information on influenza virologic surveillance can be provided to decision makers at CDC, FDA and WHO. Good understanding of the biological basis of influenza virologic surveillance and influenza virus antigenic characterization are highly desired but not required. Relocation support is not available for this position.
- Serves as data manager for Virus Reference Team.
- Conduct data analysis and compose report on virus antigenic characterization to domestic and international collaborators in timely fashion.
- Preparation and distribution of the comprehensive summary report twice a year for international collaborators.
- Contribution to the generation of CDC/ID information package for WHO bi-annual influenza vaccine strain selection meetings.
- Develops, plans, coordinates, and implements analytical programs. Performs basic statistical analysis programs, to manage and interpret data.
- Perform data analysis for ad-hoc requests from leaderships or collaborators.
- Provide logistical, organizational, and technical support for accessioning, tracking, storage, and chain of custody for specimens received for testing
- Works with team members to accomplish research projects of influenza studies
- Collaborate with internal Influenza Division and other CDC partners to improve influenza virologic surveillance and science initiatives by improving data accessibility and usability.
- Conducts analysis of research data and prepares technical reports, including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ability to be trained on and to perform virus characterization assays as needed.
- Write reports, publications, and presentations as well as provide editorial assistance as needed for the reporting relevant scientific findings internally and externally
- The selected individual must have the ability to respond to continually changing priorities, and must be able to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's degree with 2-5 years’ experience or Master's degree with 1-2 years’ experience in Public Health, Microbiology or Biology, Molecular Biology, or closely related field.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience with project management and data analyses.
- Minimum of four years of virology laboratory experience and demonstrated expertise in influenza research are desirable
- Experience with writing laboratory reports, program management, and working with Microsoft programs including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, SharePoint, Words as well as Data Analysis programs including SAS, SPSS, and Epi Info.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a CDC Security Clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Laboratory experience in molecular assays is desirable but not required.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers