Mechanical Engineering Co-op (Spring & Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Engineering Co-op for Spring and Summer Semester 2018 work with our Medical Devices group. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
The Consumer, Industrial, and Medical group is hired by external companies from startups to Fortune 100 to assist them with their product development needs. Clients choose to work with us because of a proven track record for developing innovative and marketable solutions to challenging technical problems. The Mechanical Engineer Co-op will be an integral part of the multi-disciplinary teams that we form around each project. A large focus for the group is on medical device development. This has included projects for mass produced drug delivery devices, immunodiagnostic systems, surgery tools, large scale imaging systems, and more. Regardless of whether the device is in the user’s hands or part of a larger system of care, they all are driven by the same ambition - to positively affect the user’s health outcome.
Our team-based approach means you will work side-by-side with Electrical, Software, and Systems Engineers; Electrical and Mechanical Designers and Technicians; Industrial Designers and Human Factors Engineers; Material Scientists, and any other disciplines needed for each project. Your coworkers will range from other co-ops and new graduates all the way to those with 30+ years of experience. The unique backgrounds and work experiences brought by each team member lends diversity to the development process, which results in both product innovation as well as an engaging work environment.
We believe that internships are a vital part of your education and growth as an engineer. Therefore we work hard to assign work experiences that not only build upon your previous classes, but also provide some context for the coursework to come. This position will also include an introduction to the numerous other disciplines and skillsets that typically comprise a project team such that the candidate will gain a more complete understanding of how mechanical design fits into the overall product development process.
The successful candidate will envision, design, and test devices and systems for medical and consumer applications including:
- Supporting team members in developing mechanical products, subsystems and/or components
- Gaining hands-on experience through assembly and testing work in the lab
- Communicating results and progress using written and oral communication to the project team
- Participating in other facets of product development such as concept generation, prototyping, analysis, etc. as much as project work load and the candidate’s abilities allow.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Sophomore standing or higher in a B.S. Mechanical Engineering curriculum and currently enrolled in an ABET-accredited university
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Experience using SolidWorks and/or Pro/E mechanical drawing tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated initiative to be a self-starter with a desire to learn that extends beyond the classroom
- Proven ability to successfully work independently or as part of a larger team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION
- Experience using FEA analysis tools, such as ANSYS or Abaqus
- Experience in the design and development of medical diagnostic or drug delivery equipment
- Experience with plastics and metal fabrication, injection molding, materials processing, and mechanism design.
- Familiarity with mechanical design under medical device requirements, constraints, and processes.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers