Environmental Research Scientist/Field Team Leader
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Environmental Business Line conducts research, characterization, and remediation of environmental contamination, and designs and implements environmentally sustainable remedial technologies.
We are seeking qualified applicants for a full-time Environmental Research Scientist/Field Team Leader position in Seattle, Washington.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in the Department of Defense (DoD) Environmental Restoration (ER) program with emphasis on Naval Facilities Engineering Command Northwest (NAVFAC NW).
As a Research Scientist, the selected individual will plan, oversee, conduct, and develop reports related to environmental characterization and remediation projects. Work will be for our federal government clients. Examples of responsibilities based on current or anticipated projects include:
- Identifies clients’ technical needs, coordinating with other Battelle staff, and delivering results to address client challenges.
- Develop and follow procedures to conduct field activities, and generate defensible technical data.
- Self performs and oversees others extract information from databases, through literature reviews, and/or field reports, and compile information (e.g., data tables, figures, graphs) for data interpretation and reporting.
- Acts as an effective Field Team Leader and task manager responsible for coordinating, conducting, and overseeing environmental field activities to investigate and/or remediate contamination in soil, groundwater, surface water, sediment, and/or soil-gas. Field activities may include site assessments, remedial investigations, land use control inspections, drilling operations, well installation, remediation system installation/operation, and various types of environmental sampling.
- Maintains accountability for all on-site activities, including but not limited to staff health and safety, field records, sample custody, electronic data, quality, and safety observations.
- Communicates and coordinates field activities with field teams (made up of Battelle staff and subcontractors), project managers, and client representatives.
- Analyzes and interprets data collected in the field and serves as primary author on various reports which may include environmental sampling plans, work plans, health and safety plans, groundwater monitoring reports, preliminary/site assessment reports, well completion/abandonment reports, remedial investigations, feasibility studies, decision documents, remedial action work plans, remedial action completion reports, five-year reviews, and proposals related to characterization and/or remediation projects.
- Interacts directly with clients during technical meetings, conference calls, and while in the field conducting work.
- Oversees, mentors, and trains junior staff.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL DEMONSTRATE:
- Experience leading and coordinating field efforts that consist of at least 3-person teams or more.
- Experience with soil, groundwater, surface water, sediment, and/or soil-gas contamination investigation and remediation projects including techniques and equipment utilized on such projects.
- Ability to troubleshoot mechanical and electrical problems with equipment that occur in the field.
- Ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness, including the application of innovative technical principles and concepts.
- Independent thought and ability to identify and resolve problems associated with the development and implementation of complex field projects and programs.
- Experience writing environmental documents including but not limited to sampling plans, work plans, health and safety plans, groundwater monitoring reports, preliminary/site assessment reports, well completion/abandonment reports, remedial investigations, feasibility studies, decision documents, remedial action work plans, remedial action completion reports, five-year reviews, and proposals related to field characterization and/or remediation projects.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Positive attitude and eagerness to take on new and technically challenging tasks.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science, or Geology.
- 5 to 8 years’ experience working in a field setting including serving as the Field Team Leader on projects that include preparing, conducting, and documenting field test and field work.
- Training: 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER and current 8-hour annual refresher certification; 8-hour OSHA supervisor certification; current adult cardio pulmonary resuscitation, standard first aid, and automated external defibrillator certification; 30-hour OSHA construction safety certification or EM385-1-1 certification; and Army Corps of Engineers construction quality control manager certification.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work a significant amount of time in a field environment on military installations within the Northwest, but versatility to work in office environment analyzing data and interpreting data, and developing environmental reports and proposals. Travel to out-of-state project locations will be required.
- Strong computer skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint; SharePoint; and Adobe Acrobat.
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers