Commercial HVAC Mechanic
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Commercial HVAC Mechanic. This position is located in West Jefferson, Ohio.
The Commercial HVAC Mechanic will be a part of a team that supports Battelle’s West Jefferson facilities. The selected candidate will perform preventive/predictive maintenance, repairs, and adjustments on HVAC equipment to ensure the safety and reliability of critical mechanical systems in a laboratory environment.
- Respond to, assist, and perform emergency repairs on HVAC equipment and controls.
- Maintain an adequate inventory of spare parts to keep systems running smoothly with minimum downtime; monitor system performance and demand to ensure compliance with safety and energy savings guidelines.
- Follow recognized procedures and techniques and applies knowledge of regulatory codes and requirements, as well as knowledge of Battelle systems to accomplish job assignments.
- Coordinates with other facility’s staff and contractor’s staff to accomplish work on new and renovated labs, and ensures compliance with applicable Battelle guidelines as well as national, state, and local regulations and requirements.
- Monitor equipment to ensure operation is within specified parameters, especially to meet the requirements of conducting project work for clients; make adjustments and repairs as necessary; conducts necessary tests and inspects system equipment and components to detect actual and potential mechanical problems that would affect project work, and takes corrective action.
- Develop and implement an effective preventive maintenance program using the site’s computerized maintenance management system (CMMS)
- Operate and interact with Building Automation System (BAS) for operation, trend analysis, and to spot check data for validity.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Must possess a High School diploma with at least 5 years of HVAC/mechanical-related experience OR an Associate’s degree in a related field with 2 years of experience
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of Commercial heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems, regulatory codes and requirements, as well as related pneumatic and electrical control systems
- Must have thorough Apprentice level knowledge and skill in control systems, mechanical maintenance and repair procedures, installation, and fabrication techniques typical in the trade
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook. Must also have experience with software commonly used for tracking and reporting system status in BAS and CMMS systems.
- Must have the knowledge of tools, materials, procedures, hazards of the trade, and possess the physical ability to perform manual labor, including work outdoors in inclement weather
- Must be willing to perform self-development activities sufficient to maintain craft specialty skills and certifications, and have the ability to obtain and maintain Asbestos awareness training and certification; universal refrigerant certifications; licenses to operate a forklift, overhead crane, aerial lifts and power tools; radiation safety training; and others as required.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, good customer service skills, and ability to follow through and carry out assignments
- Ability to work on-call on a rotational basis and respond to emergency calls during non-business hours. May be required to work overtime for activities related to HVAC, shutdowns, repairs, and emergency situations.
- Must a US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret Clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- A mechanical contractor's license and/or refrigeration certification is desirable
- May be required to obtain special clearances and inoculations to work in labs containing biohazards or radioactive substances
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers