Research Scientist/ Engineer- Spectroscopy
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Research Scientist/Engineer with significant experience in spectroscopy to work with our Product and Life Cycle Management (PLCM) group. This position is in Columbus, OH.
PLCM is seeking a scientist or engineer to guide and execute work in sensor development with specific interest and experience in new approaches to generation and analysis of spectrum utilizing optoelectronics. The candidate will contribute significantly to advancing current systems as well as the research and development of future systems. The responsibilities of the position are expected to grow rapidly as we have received significant interest from numerous clients. The candidate must appreciate a fast past environment, have a desire to take immediate ownership of large portions of system development, and be effective in a small team or individual tasking.
The following are a list of probable tasks:
- Conceptualize sensor systems that can be applied to detecting hazardous materials (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear or explosive).
- Design, implement and execute laboratory testing of sensor systems.
- Work with teams of engineers and scientists to advance prototypes to products.
- Interpret and analyze sensor data, including supporting the development of automated analysis algorithms.
- Oversee small teams, managing schedule and directing work to meet deadlines.
- Generate reports, test plans, presentations and other deliverable documentation.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s degree in chemistry, physics, or engineering with at least 4 years of related experience
- Experience in experimental analysis (spectroscopy, optical spectroscopy, or electrochemical)
- Experience designing and implementing unique laboratory or field tests
- Experience with processing quantitative data sets, including familiarity with analytical software tools (Matlab, R, Python, etc.)
- Demonstrated skills in written and oral communication
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain and government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ph.D. degree in chemistry, physics, or engineering
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
#linkedin #clearance #indeedcampaign