Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle is seeking a Microwave-Photonics Engineer to work in the Electronic Warfare Technology Center (EWCT) within the Mission and Defense Technologies Business Unit. The position is located at Battelle Headquarters in Columbus, OH.
The Microwave-Photonics Engineer will work in the EWTC focused on the convergence of radio frequency (RF), microwave, millimeter-wave and photonic technologies to develop novel components, subsystems and systems for communications, radar systems, and electronic warfare. The EWTC works across Battelle to lead and/or support Applied Research and Engineering projects in support of US Government and commercial clients. The candidate will work alongside other Battelle professionals to deliver capabilities in accordance with established cost, schedule, and technical metrics.
The ideal candidate is proactive, eager to learn, and can view problems analytically and creatively. Although technical competence and critical thinking skills are expected at Battelle, emphasis is placed on technical/non-technical problem solving, effectiveness, and tenacity.
The candidate will report to the Chief Scientist of the Mission and Defense Technologies Business Unit. The candidate will support engineering projects that involve design, analysis, testing, and fabrication of radio frequency (RF), microwave, millimeter-wave and photonic components, subsystems and systems for communications, signal intelligence, radar and electronic warfare.
- Participate in conceptual design, detailed design, prototyping, fabrication, and testing of components, subsystems and systems
- Implement technical problem solving methods
- Generate technical documents, including test plans and test reports
- Conduct laboratory and/or field test and/or experiments
Travel may be required.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related degree from an ABET-accredited program with 5- 8 years of related experience
- Experience and/or course work in RF/microwave circuit design, including amplifiers, mixers and filters.
- Experience with RF test equipment, such as an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer and/or network analyzer
- Experience and/or course work in fiber-optic systems and optical waveguide technology
- Experience and/or course work in digital signal processing for radar and/or communication systems
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with technical and non-technical audiences
- Responsible contributor who proactively follows-up on delegated tasks
- Ability to work independently or as part of a larger team
- Ability to write technical reports and/or proposals
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ph.D. Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related degree from an ABET-accredited program with 2-5 years of related experience
- Experience and/or course work in electromagnetic theory and applications including stripline design and antenna design
- Experience with microwave photonics and integrated photonic components, including laser diodes, electrooptic modulators and photodetectors
- Experience with optical communications systems and protocols
- Experience with electromagnetic modeling tools
- Experience with MATLAB and LabVIEW
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
#linkedin #clearance #indeedcampaign