Project Manager, NEON Operations
The National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) is a shared-use, continental scale research platform for ecological research, consisting of geographically distributed networked infrastructure. Networks of sensors coupled to a network of human observers and airborne observations, will be linked to computational, analytical and modeling capabilities. Battelle, under multiple Cooperative Support Agreements awarded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), is in the midst of executing a program requiring completion of Observatory Construction, and transition of completed sites to Operations. The completed Observatory is expected to be in initial operations in 2018, and full operations in 2019.
The NEON Project Manager, Operations will serve as the Battelle authority responsible for the successful day-to-day performance/operation of the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON). This position will be the primary POC and interface to the NSF regarding execution of NEON Operations project scope, cost and schedule performance, and similarly, to Battelle senior management. The NEON Project Manager, Operations will manage a complex, multi-year project in a matrix organization, requiring coordination of geographically dispersed teams. This will include strategic project planning consistent with client (NSF) expectations for operations, development and implementation of project execution plans, and management of project cost, schedule and performance.
The NEON Project Manager, Operations will perform these functions collaboratively with the NEON Program Manager, until Observatory Construction has been completed and a sufficient transition to Operations has occurred, at which time the NEON Program Manager position will be eliminated. Further collaboration will be required in the performance of these functions with the NEON Chief Scientist/Observatory Director, who is responsible for leading the Observatory science program through close coordination with the ecological science community and ensuring that the Observatory fulfills its scientific and educational mission.
- Serves as a member of the Battelle leadership team to advocate, support, and ensure the scientific and educational objectives of the Observatory, through efficient and responsive Operations management and execution of the Observatory Collections plan, are being met.
- Represents Battelle in engagements with NSF, other Federal Agencies, Congress and other key external stakeholders in order to communicate status and other details concerning Observatory Operations.
- Directs utilization of Battelle policies, processes and procedures to collect and review financial and performance information to determine NEON Operations project status, identify significant variances, and initiate corrective actions to achieve project objectives.
- Ensures key deliverables (monthly and annual reports, project execution plan, CONOPS, etc) are developed, completed and submitted to the client in accordance with required submittal dates.
- Assesses impacts of scope, schedule and budget change requests and ensures that the requisite action is taken. Ensures that the NEON Operations project is maintained within the scope, budget and schedule of the baseline agreement and changes the baseline when appropriate client-directed changes are approved.
- Proactively communicates with clients to ensure they are an integral part of the NEON Operations project for clarification of requirements and regular assessment of implementation progress. Builds client relationships to sustain and expand business opportunities. Influences client opinion on future project direction. Influences customer’s plans and priorities as related to the project. Identifies value opportunities for Battelle with the client and establishes opportunity development capture plans. Positions Battelle to win all such opportunities.
- Actively contributes to business development and proposal activities including the formulation of win and bid strategies. Establishes review procedures to ensure that proposed technical work can be accomplished as described within proposed cost, time and quality constraints. Coordinates the efforts of the proposal team to formulate an offering that persuasively presents the technical and management approach that meets the client needs and documents the value created.
- Guides project and task managers and staff in using configuration management and control processes to manage NEON Operations project change. Establishes strategies for using cost and schedule performance data analysis in making project decisions to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of specified services and products. Ensures change management policies and processes to evaluate changes, examine options, and make responsible decisions regarding scope, schedule and performance change are followed. Ensures that control is exercised over budgets, acquisitions, schedules, configuration, risk, and technical performance throughout NEON Operations project execution.
- Has significant responsibilities in contract negotiation activities and has a thorough knowledge of contractual issues relative to the NEON Operations project, relevant to scope of the work, scheduling and subcontracts. Advises contract managers on NEON Operations project execution and delivery issues.
- Represents Battelle to senior leadership in client organizations. Prepares and presents to internal and customer senior leadership to provide reviews and updates on technical aspects, cost, and schedule.
- Ensures safety policies and regulations are integrated into the NEON Operations project plan. Ensures the project conducts safety assessments. Establishes guidelines for ensuring that adequate safety assessments are performed.
- Knows, understands and applies Battelle business management processes and procedures. Implements Project Management best practices and management policies. Understands, embraces and executes relevant Quality Systems and applicable industry regulations. Maintains a thorough understanding of and ensures compliance with applicable government and industry regulations.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in ecology, or an environmental/ life/earth science.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) accreditation, or demonstrable evidence of equivalent corporate/organizational training in project management.
- 10 or more years prior experience successfully managing large, complex environmental projects, with heavy emphasis on logistics support of deployed, networked systems, assets and infrastructure.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of contract management and prior experience leading or supporting negotiation of contract changes.
- Outstanding leadership and interpersonal skills with a management style that encourages open expressions of ideas and opinions. Demonstrated ability to work in and foster a collaborative work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with individuals from a wide range of professional backgrounds and career stages. Ability to bridge competing views and work across diverse cultures, while being decisive.
- Strong personal integrity and work ethic, superior judgment, emotional intelligence, the ability to maintain confidentiality, and the ability to show sound judgment and independent initiative.
- Prior experience performing capture management.
- Prior experience leading and collaborating with others in proposal development, inclusive of costing/pricing.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Masters or Ph.D. ecology, or an environmental/ life/earth science.
- Prior experience working with the National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Prior experience managing Cooperative Agreements(CA) and Cooperative Support Agreements(CSA)
- Prior, relevant field experience in an environmental, or comparable project
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
#indeedcampaign #clearance #linkedin