Building Control Operator/HVAC Maintenance Mechanic - 3rd Shift
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a 3rd shift Building Control Operator (BCO)/HVAC Maintenance Mechanic. This position is in Columbus, Ohio.
The Building Control Operator (BCO)/ HVAC Maintenance Mechanic will support Battelle’s King Avenue Campus and will provide 3rd Shift BCO coverage Saturday - Sunday and 3rd Shift HVAC Maintenance coverage Monday – Wednesday. The selected candidate will also need to provide support and work other schedules as needed.
The BCO/HVAC Maintenance Mechanic operates the Building Automation System (BAS) and maintains equipment in proper operating condition. Responds to and makes decisions for corrective action to all alarms received on the BAS. Perform preventive/predictive maintenance on the facilities support systems.
- Operates the Building Automation Systems (BAS) and maintains equipment in proper operating condition (primarily Saturday and Sunday)
- Responds to and makes decisions for corrective action to all alarms on the BAS
- Monitors and controls the operation and maintenance of all mechanical systems equipment, including distribution systems, boilers, hot water tanks, ventilation equipment, lab equipment, motors, pumps, valves, compressors, air conditioners, and related environmental equipment to ensure safe and efficient operation
- Monitors equipment to ensure operation is within specified parameters, especially to meet the requirements of conducting project work for clients; adjusts and repairs as necessary; conducts necessary tests and inspects system equipment and components to detect actual and potential mechanical problems that would affect system performance, and takes corrective action
- Operates the BAS and the related software; ensures that system modifications and upgrades maintain or enhance overall system flexibility, responsiveness, and reliability
- Establishes effective standards and procedures for operation of heating, air handling, electrical, and mechanical controls systems
- Starts, stops, and adjusts operating equipment in response to requests for changes
- Troubleshoots and performs minor repairs in response to work orders about inadequate comfort levels
- Performs preventative/predictive maintenance, repairs, and adjustments on HVAC equipment and/or boiler plant equipment to ensure the safety and reliability of critical mechanical systems (3 days per week - Monday - Wednesday)
- Develops and implements an effective preventative maintenance program using the site's computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); performs preventative/predictive maintenance, repairs, and adjustments on mechanical and electrical systems and controls; monitors and records effectiveness of maintenance activities; takes care of corrective actions when necessary to ensure the safety and reliability of critical mechanical systems in a laboratory environment
- Responds to, and assists, in performing emergency repairs on mechanical-related equipment and controls
- Responds to emergency calls during non-business hours and determines corrective actions, contacts the appropriate staff to make assignments, and conducts necessary follow-up actions
- Required to work overtime for activities related to HVAC and boiler plant shutdowns, repairs, and emergency situations
- Performs self-development activities sufficient to maintain craft specialty skills and certifications required to perform assigned tasks
- The job requires the physical ability to perform medium difficulty work, including lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling work materials and tools; ability to climb ladders, maintain balance, stoop, kneel and crouch to gain access to equipment components; ability to read meters and use tool accessories; acuity of vision for close work; depth perception and color vision
- Performs special tasks requiring similar duties and responsibilities, as assigned
- May be required to obtain inoculations to work in labs containing biohazards and radioactive substances
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- High School Diploma or equivalent and three (3) years of experience with large chiller systems, cooling towers, air handling systems, boilers, steam distribution systems and condensate systems OR a related technical degree plus one (1) year of experience
- Must have mechanical aptitude and a working knowledge of HVAC/mechanical related equipment, steam systems and boiler plant operations, including electrical, electronic, and pneumatic control equipment for large building and laboratory automation systems
- Must be able to work from building drawings, architectural plans, operational guides, and maintenance manuals common to trade
- Ability to modify existing drawings and schematics to account for components that have been modified or added to the system.
- Must have experience with software commonly used for tracking and reporting system status in BAS and CMMS systems
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must have the knowledge of tools, materials, procedures, hazards of the trade, and possess the physical ability to perform manual labor, including work outdoors in inclement weather
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear the appropriate protective equipment.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved vaccines and medications recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents.
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
- Must be willing to work overtime hours
- Must be willing and able to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance
- Must be familiar with operation of a personal computer, and Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Must be able to use communication device such as a pager, cellular phone, or two-way radio during and after normal business hours, including weekends
- Must have good oral and written skills, good customer service skills, and ability to follow through and carry out assignments
- Initiative to actively pursue opportunities and training to maintain specialty skills and certifications required to perform assigned tasks
- Must be self-motivated and can be productive with little or no direct supervision
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Knowledge of Honeywell and Siemens building automation systems is a plus
- A mechanical contractor's license, Third Class Stationary Engineer License and/or refrigeration certification is desirable
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers