IT Relationship Manager
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an IT Relationship Manager. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
The role of the Relationship Manager (RM) is critical to ensuring alignment between IT and the business. This role is an extension of the Business Enablement Organization within Corporate Information Technology (CIT), acting as liaison and bridging, facilitating, communicating and building understanding between the designated businesses and IT. The RM is responsible for understanding the overarching business model as well as the intricacies and nuances of their assigned functional business areas. This entails developing strong business relationships with the leadership teams, developing and driving the technology agenda for designated businesses, analyzing and presenting information to the various leadership teams that enables sound business/organizational decisions; developing, implementing and overseeing the proactive delivery of various technology requirements; and contributing as a member of the broader CIT team. The RM also helps their assigned business areas develop business cases that effectively illustrate the value of the need – from cost/benefits to the alignment with the organization’s goals.
The RM helps with prioritization of requests and communication of timelines in alignment with CIT technology roadmaps. If a request comes in that is not on the roadmap, the RM provides a business case to maximize return on investment if the project is approved. The RM will also provide business intelligence to inform the overall CIT strategy.
When effectively implemented, this role blurs the line between the business and IT, creating a seamless ability for the business to leverage the services and expertise of the IT organization and obtain the technology solutions necessary to ensure mission execution success. An individual successful in this role will be viewed both as a contributing member of the businesses they represent and the CIT team.
Strategy Generation Management:
- Gains understanding of corporate and business unit strategies and alignment between the two
- Ensures business unit needs are represented in the long-term vision of platform technologies and solutions?
- Participates in the preparation of communication materials to present to business and IT leaders?
- Participates in reviewing completeness of platform visions and strategies?
- Defines/Develops Customer Specifications / Requirements and ensure that requests align with BU, Corporate, and IT strategy
- Identifies key strategic business and functional requirements from Business Units and global technology trends in business
- Communicates upcoming activity to CIT team to ensure alignment on priorities and need
- Identifies common threads among projects to accelerate delivery and encourage common tools
- Ensures that planned new products accomplish a fundamental goal of improving top-line performance, reducing cost, and/or mitigating risk
- Ensures business and/or executive sponsorship and support exists prior to request submission
- Establishes/maintains relationship with internal technology teams
- Delivers quality customer service
- Measures customer satisfaction at defined cadence throughout the year
- Participates in customer meetings: (Staff meetings, operational meetings, strategic review meetings, etc.)
- Remains service-focused and proactive
Service Portfolio Management:
- Supports the development of CIT priorities and business plan objectives?
- Provides direction on the appropriate solution for deployment ?
- Develops and communicates business value of CIT programs?
- Collaborates with the CIT PMO, representing the business, to insure successful transition of approved projects from strategy and vision to implementation
- Ensures Business Unit IT input is considered as part of IT infrastructure policies
- Facilitates Service Level Agreement (SLA) negotiations for internal and customer requirements
- Oversees solution/implementation delivery coordination for projects aligned to their business area and facilitates communications?
- Identifies opportunities for operational efficiency
- Understands IT initiatives in budget, timing, magnitude, priority, etc.
- Ensures new/unplanned initiatives include complete infrastructure costs in their plans ?
- Provides insight and transparency to IT service costs
- Develops initial Business Case/Needs Analysis outlines
- Measures success of new projects through post-project Return on Investment (ROI) analysis and recommends options for additional ROI
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science and 10+ years in project management or team leadership experience in successfully delivering complex technology solutions OR Master’s degree and 8+ years of experience
- Experience working in a fast paced, cross-functional and cross-team environment
- Experience developing relationships with and ensuring the appropriate participation of key client stakeholders and client executives
- Prior experience overseeing formal cost/benefit analysis
- Outstanding technical and nontechnical communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships, trust, and confidence
- Ability to see the customers’ point of view and service-oriented mindset
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.