Director, Financial Business Process and Systems Improvement
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Director, Financial Business Process and Systems Improvement. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
Responsible to design, plan and lead initiatives to improve corporate-wide financial business processes and systems in collaboration with and in support of management within all functional areas in a government contracting context. Battelle’s strategic priority is to develop adaptable business and financial systems that provide high-quality information and transactional support to the company’s business operations within a strong and sustainable internal control environment. Responsible for working closely with others to drive initiatives to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Company’s financial, business, and internal control processes.
- Define and manage implementation of financial business and system improvements and transformations that reflect strategic and business priorities and strengthen accountability, compliance, information quality, efficiency, and sustainability.
- Proactively engage and collaborate with functional leaders, process owners, system users, and business leadership across the company to ensure that assessment, requirements-gathering, design, and implementation activities are developed, implemented, and validated with stakeholder input.
- Identify opportunities to apply process automation as well as advanced technology and data management technologies.
- Ensure that policy and process documentation comply with audit and regulatory requirements.
- Provide guidance to peers and senior management, and coordinates with the corporate Controller, to ensure that improvements to policies, processes, and systems conform to GAAP, Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) internal controls, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), and/or any other applicable regulatory framework.
- Ensure that financial business and systems improvements are designed and implemented in a manner consistent with Defense Acquisition Regulations System (DFARS) compliance through collaboration with the corporate Controller.
- Drive the strategic direction for the financial systems structure and design. Recommend solutions and develop business system scenarios that anticipate the future direction of the business, its drivers and technology strategy, and support requirements. Proactively facilitate complex design and technical discussions, reconciling differing opinions and drive the decision-making process.
- Lead a team of solution analysts in translation of business process, master data and best practice requirements into execution design and deliverables.
- Provide long-range planning and early preparation and positioning for eventual financial ERP replacement as well as periodic information system module upgrades or replacements. Apply financial systems knowledge and expertise in to ensure compatibility of the eventual ERP replacement with defined business processes and the internal control environment.
- Acquire external resources and subject matter expertise as determined by project requirements. Establish priorities for budget allocations and expenditures.
- Will manage others and perform all staff development, performance evaluations, and other assigned duties as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with a minimum of 10 years of experience working with accounting, financial systems implementation, application and maintenance of internal controls; or equivalent education and years of experience.
- Must have business process transformation experience, as demonstrated through consulting or internal corporate leadership, is essential.
- Must demonstrate effective communication and negotiation skills to deal with all levels of management and the ability to resolve complex non-recurring problems with novel and creative solutions.
- Must demonstrate team leadership and project management and have knowledge of government contractor business environment and regulatory requirements (e.g., DFARS).
- Strong understanding and application a COSO internal control framework (e.g. SOX) and the application of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Must posses a CPA License.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers