Manager, Corporate Accounting
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Manager, Corporate Accounting. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
Manages the activities of the Corporate Accounting department which entail both internal and external consolidated financial reporting and analysis, and departmental operations and associated reporting.
Serves as the primary accounting contact for the Battelle Columbus-based Operations regarding accounting and reporting matters. Manages a group that provides consolidated financial reporting, account reporting and maintains the Battelle Columbus – based operations and other subsidiary general ledgers.
- Responsible for managing the preparation and issuance of the audited consolidated financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Provides guidance and ensures compliance with U.S. GAAP, Battelle policies and regulatory compliance (e.g. FAR, DFARS, etc.). The Manager proactively addresses internal control issues and provides recommends and implements corrective action plans. Serves as a resource for accounting and financial reporting across the organization.
- Manages the monthly requirements for the accounting, reporting and consolidated financial statements for all domestic and international subsidiaries along with related financial reporting, operating expense reporting and supplemental analysis.
- Analyzes the subsidiary financial reporting packages and supports the Corporate Controller and/or the Assistant Controller in the financial stand up meetings.
- Responsible for the management of the various general ledgers and the timely completion of the monthly close process. Manages the maintenance of the general ledger accounts, adjusting journal entries, account reconciliations and general ledger activities.
- Responsible for the accounting of the pension and investment portfolio.
- Monitors developments in U.S. GAAP, IFRS, and U.K. GAAP requirements and their impact on the overall organization.
- Provides technical advice and guidance to finance, tax, legal and other areas on finance and accounting matters.
- Supports the Corporate Controller and Assistant Controller in designing, monitoring and ensuring compliance with key internal controls that support a strong internal control structure. As required, the Accounting Manager will assist in the remediation efforts of findings and the development of corrective action plans as needed.
- As the primary point of contact for the financial and certain compliance audits, the Accounting Manager ensures all required audits are completed timely.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Requires a bachelor’s or advanced degree in Accounting or Finance and a minimum of six (6) years of related experience, including involvement in the application of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles; or equivalent education and years of experience.
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license
- Strong understanding and application a COSO internal control framework (e.g. SOX).
- Must possess effective communication and negotiation skills to deal with all levels of management and the ability to resolve complex non-recurring problems with novel and creative solutions.
- Ability to resolve complex non-recurring problems with proven novel and creative solutions.
- Highly motivated leader with prior experience managing staff who defines roles and responsibilities within the team and supports individual career growth
- Proven and effective process improvement achievements.
- Excellent written/verbal communications and collaboration skills
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Government Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) knowledge
- Prior experience in public accounting firm (preferably Big 4)
- Prior experience working for a government contractor
- Experience PeopleSoft
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers