Assistant to the SVP, Contract Research
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Assistant to the SVP, Contract Research. This position is located in Columbus, OH. This position will require flexible work hours including morning, evening, and weekends on an on call/as needed basis.
Provides broad and complex administrative support to the Senior Vice President, Contract Research to provide an extension of his management responsibilities in a manner that ensures the most efficient use of his time and maintains positive, effective and collaborative working relationships across the organization. This individual must be proactive, articulate, diplomatic, service-oriented, and able to learn preferences and anticipate needs. This individual also must possess a flexible personality be an energetic self-starter and able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities and be available outside of regular business hours. The successful candidate also will be able to manage through ambiguity and work through others to obtain information needed to problem-solve, meet deadlines and effectively support the executive office. Sense of humor, ability to stay calm under pressure and curiosity and enthusiasm for continuous learning in support of business and mission-critical objectives are highly desired. Requires an extreme degree of confidentiality and independent judgment and discretion in administering information of a sensitive and critical nature to Battelle with little to no supervision or direction.
- Acts as point person for both internal and external contacts with little to no supervision; advises others regarding Battelle organization, policies, points of contact, etc.
- Assumes delegation of authority for the Senior Vice President, Contract Research for assorted items, such as: time cards, travel requests, expense reports, small purchase orders, etc.
- Composes, organizes, and prioritizes large volumes of highly confidential correspondences, memos, emails, phone calls, etc. to determine what information can be answered directly, requires the immediate attention of the Senior Vice President, Contract Research, or should be directed to another party within the organization.
- Appraises all incoming materials, deciding the priority of those requiring the Senior Vice President, Contract Research's attention and taking action on all others as needed; includes preparing and composing written materials for signature and editing material from other offices to prepare for the Senior Vice President, Contract Research's signature, including routing items to other staff as appropriate.
- Assumes responsibility to ensure the Senior Vice President, Contract Research meets commitments and deadlines; confirms that materials requested from others are received and requested actions are completed.
- Ensures that files necessary to the Senior Vice President, Contract Research's business activities are maintained and that materials are easily retrievable; as needed, prepares background material to assist in preparation for meetings.
- Advises staff of the Senior Vice President, Contract Research's activities as appropriate and organizes all meetings for the Senior Vice President, Contract Research’s team; managing the agenda and meeting notes.
- Coordinates and manages the Senior Vice President, Contract Research’s calendar and demanding travel schedule; arranges all meetings, appointments, professional social events, and travel schedules, determining priorities, both internal and external.
- Manages preparation of the Senior Vice President, Contract Research's quarterly presentation to the Board by assisting in writing, editing agendas, reports and presentations and coordinating deadlines; prepares additional business documents and communications as needed.
- Attends Contract Research Team meetings upon request; documents action items and follows-up on actions as required.
- Works independently or in a team on special projects and assists with various community relations’ activities.
- Leads and coaches Contract Research administrative staff. Fosters teamwork among the Executive Team Assistants. Partners with CEO’s office to support business objectives and ensure effective scheduling and use of executives’ time.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 8 years of experience in a similar capacity role, supporting a Corporate-suite executive, with experience in business practices and economics; or equivalent education and years of experience.
- Must be proficient in a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint.
- Adept at social media tools, such as: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
- Experience handling sensitive and confidential material and situations.
- Strong ability to prioritize and multi-task with familiarity handling multiple high importance projects at the same time.
- Attention to detail and pro-active with analytical and communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including morning, evening, and weekends on an on call/as needed basis.
- Ability and willingness to obtain appropriate active security clearance for periodic coordination of classified activities.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers