Business Line Manager
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
The Environment and Agriculture Business Line within the Environment and Infrastructure Business Unit is currently seeking a Business Line Manager to lead our environment and agriculture practice. This position is ideally located in Columbus, OH, although other locations will be considered.
As the Business Line Manager of the Environment and Agriculture Business Line the candidate will be responsible for leading and growing a 60M business with over 200 staff located throughout the United States and United Kingdom. Responsibilities include oversight of major research projects and laboratories, accountability for profit/loss, developing growth strategies, developing customer relationships, developing new business, providing direction to staff, and contributing to the growth and continued viability of the organization. The Business Line Manager prepares and implements short and long-term plans for the organization and manages staff and performance.
- Lead the development and execution of the Environment and Agriculture multi-year Business Plan that defines the business strategy, focus areas, growth expectations, and operational and investment objectives of the Business Line.
- Maintain responsibility and accountability for the profit/loss of the organization.
- Oversee business development efforts for the Business Line to include relationship development with senior Federal Government (e.g., Navy, US COE, EPA) and commercial clients.
- Maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction through the delivery of projects that meet and/or exceed requirements for cost, schedule, and performance.
- Create and maintain a values-based, talent-advantaged, high-performing organization.
- Provide leadership to staff, re-enforcing Battelle policies and providing a sounding board for staff.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, science or related field with 15+ years of experience working in a technical environment.
- 15+ years of management responsibilities corresponding to $50+M in annual revenue and over 150 staff.
- Demonstrated experience in successful business development in environmental and agricultural markets, both Federal and commercial.
- Demonstrated experience growing a business
- Previous experience in capture and proposal management and ability to mentor staff in those areas.
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and execution of a business strategy
- Demonstrated experience communicating effectively to top management internally and within client organizations, subcontractors, consultants and staff
- Proven ability to lead others in the achievement of their goals
- Capable of traveling up to 20% domestically and to the UK
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master of Engineering or related technical field and/or a Master of Business Administration
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers