Director of Sales, Medical Devices and Diagnostics
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s Commercial Sales Team is seeking a Director of Sales, Medical Devices and Diagnostics to drive aggressive growth for our contract Medical Device & Diagnostics Development business. Location of the position is flexible; preferred locations include Boston MA, Northern NJ, Philadelphia PA, Research Triangle, NC area, Minneapolis MN, Los Angeles CA, San Francisco CA, or Columbus OH.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining an extensive network of relationships with both existing and potential customers in the medical device and in vitro diagnostic (IVD) markets to execute contract R&D sales strategies to optimize sales, growth, market penetration, and profitability
- Serve as sales lead for a variety of medical device development opportunities regardless of geography. Attend conferences and trade shows that focus on these markets.
- Build a robust and growing pipeline of opportunities with current and new customers. Drive opportunities through the pipeline rapidly and convert opportunities to orders.
- Qualify viable leads and communicate them to appropriate technical team members for further evaluation and support. Work with proposal team to craft winning strategies. Build pricing strategy and work with contracts team to negotiate acceptable terms and conditions.
- Develop expert understanding of client needs and map those needs to Battelle’s offerings.
- Responsible for delivering against personal and team financial targets, including sales and profitability. Meet or exceed agreed upon sales goals.
- Identify and work with Marketing and Technical teams to champion appropriate internal investments to solve unmet market or client needs and grow business. Understand competitive activity and competitor strategies and communicate key information to the Marketing team.
- Position requires significant travel. Amount of travel will vary depending on candidate’s location.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant Engineering, Life Science, or Business field.
- 12+ years’ experience selling to medical device, IVD, biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical customers. Clear evidence of driving sales growth and meeting or exceeding goals
- Experience selling consulting/engineering services preferred over product sales experience. Experience selling medical contract manufacturing services may also be considered.
- Existing network of client contacts in one or more target markets and the ability to leverage these into qualified business opportunities.
- Proven track record of leading, winning and growing sales and managing customer relationships. Experience leading and winning opportunities >$1M.
- Familiarity with competitors in the target markets and experience in competitive assessment. Basic understanding of FDA regulations as they relate to medical devices, IVDs, biologics and pharmaceutical products.
- Experience developing and managing a sales pipelines and using a CRM for tracking.
- Demonstrated xcellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with Microsoft CRM/Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- Master’s Degree in business or a relevant Engineering or Life Sciences field
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers