Operations Research Analyst
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Operations Research Analyst to support our Department of Defense (DoD) Joint Staff client with technical Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Defense strategic analysis. This position is in the Pentagon, Arlington, VA area.
The Joint Staff J-8/Joint Requirements Office for Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defense (JRO-CBRND) is chartered to coordinate and integrate Service, Combatant Command, and Joint Staff operational requirements for all Department of Defense (DoD) CBRN Defense programs. The JRO-CBRND Intelligence, Concepts, Studies and Analyses (CSA) branch supports the Chairman and the joint warfighter through joint force capabilities development in order to advance the operational effectiveness of the current and future joint force.
We are seeking a versatile candidate to provide technical and analytical support to our Joint Staff client. Responsibilities include supporting major projects and tasks, specifically performing analysis of complex problems that may require a high degree of abstract thinking, creativity, and the use of modeling, statistical, and other operations research techniques. The candidate will work on-site as a member of a talented project team and will lead independent tasks. The candidate will interact directly with teammates, the client, and subject matter experts, and will prepare written technical reports and briefings.
The Operations Research Analyst:
- Assists the government client in Support for Strategic Analysis (SSA) activities across the CBRN or Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction operations spectrum.
- Supports the development, approval and validation of Joint Concepts of Operations (CONOPs).
- Participates in the review and development of Defense Planning Scenarios (DPS), focused DPS excursions, Wargame vignettes focused on Force Development, Strategic Defense Concepts, and Multi-Service Force Deployment (MSFD) Data.
- Plans, facilitates, leads or supports development activities for Capabilities-Based Assessments (CBAs), Joint Concepts, and Operational Concept / Concept-of-Use Experiments across the spectrum of CBRN threats.
- Participates in threat, capability and operational analyses of, and input to CBRN capabilities documents.
- Develops positions, decisions and task packages to Combatant Commands and Services via the Joint Staff Action Process (JSAP) system.
- Produces trip reports on events supported.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Active Top Secret security clearance based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within the last 5 years.
- B.S. in Operations Research, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, or other quantitative field is required. A minimum of 10 years of experience performing technical, analytical work is required.
- Candidate must have excellent technical, writing, communications, and research skills. Candidate must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.), and standard modeling and statistical software applications is required.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with active Top Secret security clearance based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within the last 5 years.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Eligible for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI).
- M.S. in Operations Research or a closely related field is preferred. Experience with cost estimating and cost evaluation methods are preferred. Prior military background and knowledge of DoD organizations, processes, and warfighting concepts is preferred.
- Conversant in the Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System (JCIDS) and have some experience on a Joint and/or Service staff.
- Experience in Joint Force Development activities with JS J-7 Joint and Coalition Warfighting Division.
- Completion of Senior level JPME, e.g. National War College.
- Knowledge related to Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction (CWMD) plans and requirements with emphasis on nonproliferation, Policy, Strategy, Joint/International Exercise development, Interagency coordination, and Intelligence Community (IC) collaboration.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.