Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Environmental Engineer. This position located Kirtland AFB, NM.
This position will provide environmental support, knowledge, and experience to assist coordinating the activities of participating government agencies and other contractors to help ensure compliance with all established environmental regulations and policies.
The successful candidate will review environmental documents and provide recommendations on test events regarding environmental compliance; monitor and review operations and proposed construction projects to assure compliance with published environmental criteria; and conduct appraisals, field inspections, and follow-up activities of environmental and safety programs at test sites to determine effectiveness and compliance with all established environmental regulations and policies. He/She will also provide estimates for demolition of damaged targets and clean-up of any hazardous areas; calibrate and maintain various gas sensors and Photo-ionization detectors (PIDs). Finally, he/she will train personnel on environmental compliance responsibilities.
The candidate would also be responsible for the following:
- Attend test team and Test Plan Working Group meetings and provide guidance on environmental/safety issues and requirements during the test planning process.
- Provide guidance to the test team as to potential environmental costs.
- Provide guidance to the test team on test locations, including camera and sensor locations, concerning environmental restrictions; coordinate with the test team and test site manager on the test bed location.
- Review all construction designs and test fielding plans for hazards, safety, and environmental issues.
- Submit and track the progress of necessary environmental approval documentation.
- Provide RD-TS with a plan to mitigate posttest environmental issues.
- Work with the Construction Engineer to develop a cost estimate for resolving any posttest environmental issues.
- Conduct posttest monitoring and sampling for environmental hazards.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Candidate must possess a BS degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science or related physical science degree.
- 2-5 years of related professional experience
- Demonstrated experience reviewing and providing recommendations regarding environmental compliance at DoD sites
- Demonstrated experience conducting appraisals, field inspections, and follow-up activities at DoD sites
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and hold an active DoD SECRET security clearance.
- Capable of becoming respiratory qualified and wearing a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) while performing inspections of underground tunnels and target structures.
- Capable of performing work in areas with exposure to heavy construction, confined space environments, rattlesnakes, spiders, rodents, radiation, extremes in weather and walking or driving over hazardous terrain, in underground tunnels and target structures.
- Strong communication skills and Microsoft Office proficiency skills are required.
- OSHA CFR 29 Confines Space Training – 8-hour course
- CPR, First Aid, First Responder
- OHSA Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response, HAZWOPER regulation, 29 CFR 1910.120 – 40-hour course
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with field testing WMD threats including improvised threats like Improvised Explosive Devices and Unmanned Aerial Systems
- MS degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or related physical science.
- TS/SCI security clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers