Test Instrumentation Engineer
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Test Instrumentation Support and Development Engineer. This position located at Kirtland AFB, NM.
This position will provide Scientific, Engineering, Instrumentation, Environmental, and Test Operational Support along with subject matter expertise and decision support. The Test Instrumentation Support and Development Engineer will provide knowledge and experience to assist coordinating the activities of participating government agencies and other contractors to help ensure traceability of design, analysis, and testing as well as integration of program requirements.
The successful candidate will use applied knowledge to independently develop, manage and implement instrumentation plans and methodologies to meet measurement objectives to support testing. The ideal candidate will be team-oriented and possess the strong multi-tasking abilities needed to conduct research, development, and integration efforts to maintain currency in state-of-the-art and emerging/developmental data acquisition systems and sensor technologies across the CWMD testing spectrum to ensure maximum effectiveness and to fill voids in testing capabilities. He/She will develop and implement rigorous processes to ensure new sensor and data acquisition technologies are properly investigated and validated prior to introduction into the inventory. Finally, he/she will develop test plans and methodologies to perform validation and verification testing of existing and emerging diagnostic technologies and systems.
The candidate would also be responsible for the following:
- Develop instrumentation plans to translate technical requirements into necessary sensor/sampler/detector selections, procurement lead times, SOW’s and procurement request packages.
- Coordinate instrumentation review meetings with test team and experimenters.
- Assemble test cost estimates and instrumentation fielding schedules, integrating activities with other functions in the test schedule to ensure optimal utilization of resources.
- Ensure proper instrumentation resource availability and monitor expenditures to ensure they are within budget.
- Brief test team, customers, experimenters on final instrumentation plans.
- Work with Test Scientists and other members of test team to compile instrument predictions and complete the test instrumentation setup sheet.
- Develop plan for instrument setup, timing and firing, and grounding and shielding. Coordinate and monitor equipment preparation and installation.
- Attend meetings and provide guidance on instrumentation issues and requirements during the test planning process.
- Deconflict external R&D/add-on experiments with diagnostic systems/equipment.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Candidate must possess a BS degree in Engineering or related physical science.
- 5+ years of related professional experience in field testing work including sensors and data acquisition systems across the CWMD testing spectrum.
- Strong communication skills, technical presentation, teamwork mentality, graphic visualization, and Microsoft Office proficiency skills are required.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and hold an active DoD SECRET security clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- MS or PhD (Ph.D. or D.Sc.) degree in Engineering.
- Experience in combating WMD threats including improvised threats like Improvised Explosive Devices and Unmanned Aerial Systems
- TS/SCI security clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers