Principal Research Engineer
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Principal Research Scientist/Engineer to support Fire and Emergency Management RDT&E. This position is located on-site at Tyndall Air Force Base, near Panama City, FL. The successful candidate will lead a team of scientist and engineers to support Fire and Emergency Services RDT&E in support of USAF firefighter requirements, and existing and emerging technical gaps. Active areas of research include, but are not limited to:
1) Firefighting agent design
2) Personal protective equipment
3) Detection and tracking
4) Agent dispersal techniques and equipment
5) New fire suppression agents and technologies
6) Crash rescue and extrication
7) Combustion science
8) Extreme temperature firefighting
9) Intumescent materials
10) Computer modeling and simulation
11) Automated firefighting
- PhD in science and/or engineering (e.g., chemistry, fire protection, civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical) and at least 10 years of RDT&E experience since graduation. (MS degree in a field of science or engineering with at least 15 years of RDT&E experience is acceptable).
- Specific experience in RDT&E of fire extinguishing agents (or related chemistry), fire resistant clothing (or advanced materials or coatings), equipment, systems or related technical areas.
- Leadership experience with demonstrated ability to lead a team of scientist and engineers in executing research strategies and multiple RDT&E activities.
- Proactive, self-starter with a proven track record of technical innovation.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience in development and implementation of research strategies.
- Experience preparing research proposals and plans, writing technical papers, and executing RDT&E activities.
- Demonstrated ability to determine appropriate analysis methods, identify problems, and develop and implement solutions to complex problems.
- Leads the analysis of complex data and provides focused interpretive reports detailing problems, innovative solutions and other recommendations.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
#linkedin #clearance #indeedcampaign