Analytical Chemical Test Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Analytical Chemical Test Scientist. This position located at Kirtland AFB, NM, Ohio.
This position will provide Scientific, Engineering, Instrumentation, Environmental, and Test Operational Support along with subject matter expertise and decision support. The Analytical Chemical Test Scientist will provide knowledge and experience to assist coordinating the activities of participating government agencies and other contractors to help ensure traceability of design, analysis, and testing as well as integration of program requirements.
The successful candidate will be team-oriented and possess the strong multi-tasking abilities needed to work with the PM, customer, and experimenters to define test methods, test beds, measurement requirements and predicted outcomes. He/She will serve as the primary POC for all technical requirements prior to test fielding and during the posttest data analysis. He/She will provide analytical knowledge in collecting, detecting and identifying chemical components from air and other substrates to assist in collateral effects assessments. Finally, the candidate will assess new analytical instrumentation and technology including standoff detection and point sampling technologies.
The candidate would also be responsible for the following:
- Clearly define and document all testing requirements and establish objectives to meet requirements.
- Lead the development and documentation of the conceptual test design
- Prepare and present briefings to the Scientific Working Group reviewing the scientific validity and feasibility of the conceptual test design and methodology
- Coordinate sample/sensor layout with Instrument Engineers to provide required test and environment and response data
- Coordinate optics requirements with Optics Engineers for development of an optics plan and layout
- Identify and implement lessons learned from literature searches, previous field tests, or laboratory tests
- Develop pretest predictions for the required environment
- Work with the test team and customer to develop go/no go criteria
- Communicate with test team to ensure an understanding of technical requirements before implementation in the field
- Review all posttest reports and documentation
- Attend meetings and provide guidance on technical issues and requirements as needed
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Candidate must possess a BS degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Biochemistry.
- 2-5 years of related professional experience including field testing activities.
- Strong communication skills, technical presentation, teamwork mentality, graphic visualization, and Microsoft Office proficiency skills are required.
- Ability work independently and lead a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with active SECRET Government security clearance and the ability to obtain TS with access to SCI.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- MS or PhD (Ph.D. or D.Sc.) degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Biochemistry.
- Experience in combating WMD threats including improvised threats like Improvised Explosive Devices and Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Current DoD TS/SCI.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers