Chemistry Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Chemistry Research Scientist. This position located in Kirtland AFB, NM.
This position provides operational, research and development and training support along with subject matter expert advice and decision support to the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) as part of its 24/7/365 Reachback contract.
The successful candidate will be team-oriented and possess strong multi-tasking abilities. The ideal candidate will use applied knowledge to develop, integrate, test, verify, validate, and apply CBRNE (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and high explosive) software/scenarios based on results of experiments and predicted phenomena based on theoretical and computational methods. He/she will work closely with other engineering groups to define the modeling objectives, obtain the required model inputs and outputs, and verify and validate results. Presentation of modeling results and decision support aid to both internal and external customers in the form of written reports and oral presentations are required. Finally, this position requires the ability to critically analyze the work of other engineers performing modeling projects. Shift work is required.
The candidate would also be responsible for the following:
- Reviewing current research in various and potentially diverse subject areas for familiarity and relevance
- Becoming familiar with new experiments and resulting data that are relevant to the project and evaluating the overall quality of the presented results
- Providing general knowledge and chemistry-related subject matter expertise to government agencies and first responders
- Assisting in the development of program plans, timelines, and technical documents related to projects
- Attending technical and programmatic meetings in which you coordinate responses from scientific community members and review the assembled materials for technical accuracy, consistency, and completeness.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Candidate must possess a MS degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Biochemistry.
- 5 years of related professional experience.
- Candidate should be able to perform detailed calculations to generate human effects for a variety of new chemicals.
- Candidate should be able to provide assistance with detection methods for identification of chemical warfare agents and other chemical threats in air, water, soil, or other matrices.
- Candidate would possess experience working with organizations within the Department of Defense as well as other government agencies.
- Strong communication skills, technical presentation, teamwork mentality, graphic visualization, and Microsoft Office proficiency skills are required.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD (Ph.D. or D.Sc.) degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Biochemistry.
- Candidates with experience in Combating WMD threats or CBRN threats (primarily through modeling and simulation and/or test experience) in addition to a working knowledge of using ArcGIS tools in an operational environment are preferred.
- Candidates with experience in atmospheric chemistry are preferred.
- Current security clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers