Protection Operations Specialist IV / CBRN Analyst
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Protection Operations Specialist (CBRN Requirements Analyst / Information Management Specialist) to support our Department of Defense (DoD) Joint Staff client with technical Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Defense capabilities development and analysis. This position is located in the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
The Joint Staff J-8/Joint Requirements Office for Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defense (JRO-CBRND) is chartered to coordinate and integrate Service, Combatant Command, and Joint Staff operational requirements for all Department of Defense (DoD) CBRN Defense programs. The JRO-CBRND Requirements Support Branch supports the Chairman and the joint warfighter through non-materiel capabilities development to advance the operational effectiveness of the current and future joint force. We are seeking an analyst who specifically:
- Supports the government’s expert-level Technical Support Lead and Action Officer for the planning, analyses, management, and development of non-materiel CBRN (and Medical CBRN) capabilities integration encompassing Joint/Multi-service Doctrine, Joint Training, Leader Development and Education (DTLE) and Joint Exercises.
- Assists the Government in the capability analyses and identification of non-materiel CBRN operational requirements and development of capabilities documents/programs using the Joint Capabilities Integration Development System (JCIDS) and Knowledge Management / Decision Support (KM/DS) system.
- Assists in the coordination of operational requirements across the DoD Chemical Biological Defense Program (CBDP) to include the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, the Combatant Commands (CCMDs), Military Services, the Joint Program Executive Office, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA), and the National Defense University Center for the Study of WMD.
- Supports information exchange pertaining to Combatant Command (CCMD) CBRN and Counter WMD needs and requirements through the JRO’s CCMD liaison officers.
- Collaborates internally within the JRO to synthesize supporting program information that guides and informs CBRN capabilities development; e.g., Concepts, Studies, Analyses, Threat and Risk Assessments, Capabilities Based Assessments (CBAs), Analyses of Alternatives (AoAs), and Strategic guidance.
- Writes, or supports the development of memorandums, discussion papers, information papers, and decision papers to include recommended Joint Staff positions in support of major decision points related to joint requirements and capabilities integration.
- Conducts staff actions in the Joint Staff Action Processing (JSAP) system to solicit and/or integrate comments to establish a position or respond to a request for information.
- Assists the Technical Information Manager and government action officers to ensure that electronic files are managed in accordance with applicable guidelines.
- Ensures Joint Staff Action Packages (JSAP) and other taskings are accurately and timely actioned; meeting minutes are taken, staffed and published; the JRO’s SECRET and Unclassified Video Tele-conferencing (VTC) facility is operated within Joint Staff guidelines; and the JRO’s Synchronization matrix is accurately and timely maintained.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Active Top Secret security clearance based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within the last 5 years.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Ten (10) years of relevant technical area experience.
- Experience in Joint or Service requirements analysis or non-materiel capabilities development.
- Conversant in the Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System (JCIDS) and have experience on a Joint and/or Service staff.
- Ability to interact, communicate, and advise at senior levels of government.
- Fluency of SharePoint at the user and owner levels.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, e.g., Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Eligible for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI).
- Advanced degree in a discipline relevant to the position (related science specialty).
- Experience in Joint Force Development and/or Joint Education and Training/Education activities with JS J-7 Joint and Coalition Warfighting Division.
- Experience processing JSAPs is highly desirable.
- Knowledge related to Countering WMD plans and requirements. Specifically, emphasis on Policy, Strategy, Joint/International Exercise development, and Intelligence Community (IC) collaboration.
- Familiarity with the Joint Requirements Oversight Council (JROC) and the Knowledge Management / Decision Support (KM/DS) system.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers