Director of Business Development-Commercial
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Director of Business Development-Commercial. This position is located in Columbus, OH. Strong candidates located in a major U.S. city will be considered; frequent travel to our Columbus, OH Headquarters will be necessary.
The Battelle Memorial Institute serves its philanthropic education mission through profits generated within its contract research organization. The Institute’s focus is on the development of science and technology that advances the state of industry while serving humanity. Over decades of constant innovation, Battelle has developed and contributed to industry on many levels and traditional does so by licensing its IP to market leaders who transform industries. The current portfolio of technology with Battelle includes innovations in materials, physics, genomics, proteomics, and many other exciting fields. The ongoing pipeline of research continues to deep the pool of IP in these and other areas.
The Director of Business Development-Commercial will operate as a member of the Commercial Sales and Marketing team and will work closely with that team, the leaders of Battelle’s Contract Research Business Units and Executive Management to monetize this portfolio of IP for commercial purposes. The role involves the prioritization of opportunities, the development of the right partnership model for different technologies and markets, and the execution of those partnership strategies through the contracting process and into market launch. This position reports to the Vice President of Commercial Sales and Marketing and is key to helping Battelle grow its footprint in the commercial marketplace.
- Obtain a clear and deep understanding of Battelle’s businesses and strategies
- Constantly evaluate Battelle’s IP portfolio, assess market needs and fits, and prioritize
- Develop and present market analyses to support recommendations regarding entering new markets or expanding offerings in existing markets. Assist Business Unit Management in developing plans to build capabilities and to enter new or adjacent markets
- Build and maintain relationships with high level executives at leading companies in industries where Battelle is an active participant or target industries where we aspire to participate
- Market Battelle’s intellectual property and identify and close licensing opportunities. Lead licensing discussions initiated by the Business Units
- Propose and evaluate alternative business and partnership models to maximize the return to the institute from its IP portfolio.
- Lead and negotiate arrangements with commercial clients to include licensing agreements, channel partnerships, joint ventures and other models to monetize IP developed within Battelle’s contract research organization
- Participate in special projects as required
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline and at least 10 years related experience; including experience in management consulting, sales, strategic marketing or product marketing.
- Experience developing business plans for new offerings and markets
- Experience negotiating contracts or licensing agreements. Specific experience with licensing is strongly preferred
- Experience in one or more of the following markets: Pharmaceutical discovery and development, genomics, proteomics, tobacco/toxicology, ecology, agriculture, teleco, cyber security, health systems
- Demonstrated ability developing channel partner relationships and agreements
- Direct experience working closely with senior level management.
- Ability to set and communicate priorities to multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strong presentation, facilitation, and communication skills.
- Proven ability to develop and run financial models and forecasts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Dynamic CRM desirable.
- Ability to quickly learn and comprehend a variety of new topics and concepts.
- Ability to work well as part of a team or virtual team.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) Highly Desired
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers