Human Factors Researcher
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Transportation Operations Human Factors business is currently seeking a Human Factors Researcher. This position is located in Washington, DC.
Battelle’s human factors staff provide a human-centered approach to the development and evaluation of programs, systems, and products. The human factors researchers at Battelle combine human factors tools and techniques with behavioral science, computer science, and engineering expertise to address the needs and requirements of users, operators, and maintainers. Clients include both government and industry organizations in the transportation, energy, and national security domains. Human Factors Researchers work with our technical staff to conduct human factors research and are provided direction, support, and supervision from project managers and more senior technical staff. Primary activities include literature searches and reviews, field data collection and analysis, laboratory data collection and analysis, and execution of human factors analyses.
Principal responsibilities are to:
- Serve as technical lead to develop and conduct human factors research projects
- Perform assigned technical tasks and activities, in a timely manner as requested.
- Prepare and present oral briefings to colleagues and other professionals
- Contribute to project development and client relationship activities as directed
- Improve performance in technical activities through job training and outside study
- This position reports to the Transportation Business Line (TBL) Manager and is provided day-to-day work direction by various technical staff and project managers.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s degree in industrial engineering, Psychology, Human Factors or related technical degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience conducting human factors research within traffic safety and/or safety-critical systems (i.e.; forward collision warning devices, speed warning devices, pedestrian detection systems, or adaptive cruise control)
- Demonstrated skills in all stages of research, including: literature reviews, gap analyses, sampling/power analysis, research design, data collection, data analyses, and presentation of research findings.
- Proven ability to perform statistical analysis using standard social sciences statistical packages (SAS, R, etc.)
- Demonstrated writing communication skills and capable of writing technical reports and publications; demonstrated presentation skills to diverse audiences
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- US citizenship with a current or prior Department of Defense security clearance
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers