Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking Security Officers. These positions are located in Columbus, Ohio with potential need to work at our West Jefferson location on an as needed basis.
These positions are part-time with a regular schedule and there are 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift positions available.
The selected candidate will join a team of on-site Security Officers and perform a variety of duties under the supervision of their Manager and/or Supervisor. The Security Officer will patrol the Battelle King Avenue facilities and buildings by foot and patrol vehicle, monitor access control functions to premise, monitor CCTV and alarm systems, respond to emergency situations and participate in drills and training as needed.
Professionalism, customer service, and teamwork are essential characteristics of a successful Security Officer. Close supervision and instruction is provided during the training phase where Security Officers become proficient in all procedures and the operation of critical security systems. Security Officers in this position are required to meet specific qualifications to obtain a Secret level security clearance.
- Operate an active, technology-based Control Center
- Conduct patrol tours of the premises to identify and mitigate security risks, safety hazards, maintenance issues, suspicious activity and/or unusual situations
- Maintain surveillance of the site to ensure the perimeter and buildings remain secure
- Monitor controls access to the facilities ensuring only authorized personnel are permitted on site
- Monitors CCTV, Fire, & Security systems
- Respond to all incidents, accidents or emergencies in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
- Write comprehensive incident or activity reports and complete all required paperwork
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- High school diploma
- Minimum 2 - 3 years of experience relevant to a security environment
- Standards of fitness including the ability to stand and walk up to 90% of the work shift
- Familiarity with standard Microsoft Office applications
- Courtesy, tact and effectiveness in dealing with others
- Ability to meet all training and regulatory standards
- Eligibility to quickly obtain and keep a Secret level security clearance
- Valid Ohio driver’s license
- Successful completion of a medical screening
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- OPOTA certification preferred
- Secret level security clearance
- Previous military or law enforcement service
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers