Cyber Hardware Engineer Early Career
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Cyber Hardware Engineer. This position is in Columbus, OH. Come in for an interview to find out why Battelle is right for you.
Do you like solving the hardest computing problems in the world, working on research projects you are passionate about, competitive mini basketball, and bumper pool? Battelle may be the company for you.
Battelle Cyber Engineers solve the toughest Computer Science problems in the world. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered computer labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineers have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.
Our team is casual. We usually wear t-shirts and jeans. We are a close-knit group and enjoy participating in social activities outside of work. Whether it is visiting local restaurants, bowling, Korean BBQ, or paintball we always have a good time.
Battelle is committed to its employee’s professional growth. We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IRAD) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Collaborate with the Cyber Innovations Team to improve reverse engineering and embedded system development capabilities, integrating hardware, software, and reverse engineering tasks
- Work with senior staff to identify strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions and problem approaches
- Complete structured assignments of clearly defined tasking under direct supervision. Seeks direction to prioritize assignments and identify subsequent tasking
- Work with internal stakeholders to support preparation of presentations and reports and may be called on to respond to questions regarding assigned tasks
- Contribute to Internal Research and Development (IRAD) studies
- Communicate effectively with a multi-disciplinary team and task lead regarding status of assigned work and issues that arise
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field of study, or equivalent experience
- 0-2 years’ experience in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related technical areas
- Ability to code in C or C++
- Ability to design and write embedded software
- Interest in firmware reverse engineering
- Understanding of microcontroller hardware design and hardware reverse engineering
- Familiarity with assembly language programming for at least one family of microprocessors (x86, x64, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, etc.)
- Familiarity with networking protocols and architecture
- Ability to demonstrate good organization, communication, problem-solving and teamwork skills
- Must be a sole US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a US government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ability to apply learned cyber skills to real life scenarios (internships, hack-a-thons, cyber security clubs, CTFs, etc.)
- Proficient in microcontroller-based design and analysis
- Able to reverse engineer (RE) and analyze disassembled embedded firmware
- FPGA design expertise using either Verilog or VHDL
- Experience developing or analyzing networking protocols and bus architectures (CAN, I2C, etc.)
- Active Secret or Top-Secret clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers