Behavioral Health Principal Research Scientist
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Behavioral Health Principal Research Scientist with an emphasis on substance abuse and health research as part of Battelle's Public Health Center for Tobacco Research. This position located in Baltimore, Maryland.
We are seeking a highly qualified individual whose existing or emerging leadership in research in a substance abuse-related specialty area is regarded as innovative, highly important and ideally, nationally recognized. The selected candidate must have demonstrated success of academic achievement and the ability to obtain funding for research programs through competitive grants and contracts. This individual exhibits ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness in the application and/or development of advanced scientific principles, theories and concepts. Is a significant contributor to the planning and conduct of research and development (R&D) programs. The selected candidate will be a lead contributor to an existing grant and contract research portfolio working among and with a staff of PhD, MS and BS level scientists who are conducting on-going research currently directed at understanding the behavior of cigarette smoking and the consequent exposure to smoke-delivered toxins.
The selected candidate will be responsible for helping to grow the research program (both the tobacco research and associated areas of interest). The candidate will also consult with management and other scientists on long-range planning pertaining to new or projected areas of research growth in the field of substance abuse research.
- Organizes and leads successful research projects in strategic areas (current emphasis on tobacco smoking and human exposure to tobacco products), or with strategic clients, ideally providing support for a number of exempt and nonexempt staff.
- Accountable for high quality deliverables, satisfied clients, and sound financial management.
- Organizes and leads successful proposal efforts for projects (through the formulation, proposal and submission of competitive grants and contracts) in strategic specialty areas.
- Contributes substantially to planning and executing marketing and project development activities in specialized area within established budget.
- Demonstrates initiative in conceiving ideas for research programs and projects and contributes to the development of a strategic plan to grow and sustain a successful research group.
- Generates project support, delegates work, and provides technical direction, oversight and mentoring to junior staff.
- Actively engages in outstanding research and publication in an area of specialization.
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with clients and internal colleagues. Works effectively and collaboratively with researchers and support staff at varying levels within the organization.
- Maintains a growing national or international reputation.
- Contributes to the oversight of existing research programs, including developing plans to grow program in strategic areas, and implementing plans to hire staff as approved.
- Ideally provides training, mentoring and technical leadership and direction for program staff.
- Provides responsible, competent technical advice to management.
- Thorough understanding of the administrative nature of both the grant and contracting processes.
- Performs other assigned duties.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor of Science in a related field AND 8-10 years of relevant experience; Master’s do Science in a related field AND 5-8 years of relevant experience; PhD in a related field AND 2-5 years of relevant experience.
- Established reputation in public health for their research initiatives, as evidenced by numerous peer-reviewed publications, participation in professional organizations and national meetings.
- Experience making presentations at technical conferences and client workshops.
- Demonstrated success in obtaining funding from government, foundation or private sources through grants, contracts or sole-source funding is essential.
- Requires high quality research and management/planning abilities.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- A doctoral degree (PhD, MD) in a relevant health-related discipline such as social sciences, behavioral science, biological science, nursing, education, public health or medicine.
- 8 or more years of related research experience in the areas of tobacco, substance use/abuse, health behaviors; with emphasis on conducting clinical studies.
- Current grant funding (at least 1) in the area of tobacco, stress, substance use/abuse, or other health behaviors strongly preferred.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers