Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Chemical Researcher. This position is in Aberdeen, Maryland.
Battelle’s Contract Research Division is currently seeking an enthusiastic, entrepreneurial Analytical Chemical Researcher. Intent of the recruitment is to train and develop selected candidate for leadership and developmental growth for future business expansion within Battelle.
The selected candidate will primarily work at our laboratory facility in Aberdeen, MD but will also travel to and work at various locations, including secure U.S. government facilities and Formerly Used Defense Sites, throughout the US.
- Support routine and non-routine laboratory procedures and analyses efficiently and in allotted time frames.
- Perform analytical chemistry tasks including: sample preparation, instrument operation, data acquisition, data reduction.
- Perform analytical air monitoring tasks, including: sample preparation, instrument operation, data acquisition, data reduction.
- Perform calculations in support of analytical, monitoring and laboratory work.
- Read, comprehend and adhere to rigorous quality and safety guidelines for instrument operation, chemical and materials handling, and maintenance and treatment of data.
- Make full and appropriate use of Laboratory Information Management System when on project sites.
- Perform aspects of instrument operation including calibration, routine maintenance and upgrades, troubleshooting, and documentation.
- Extract information from existing databases or literature and perform reviews.
- Interpret, compile, and analyze data collected and write various technical reports.
- Perform wet chemical techniques such as pH and titrations.
- Inspect, test, and maintain documentation for laboratory safety equipment.
- Maintain laboratory documentation such as Safety Data Sheet (SDS) and updates to Laboratory Operating Procedures (LOPs).
- Maintain documentation to support sample analysis and key accountability.
- Perform all duties associated with requisitioning supplies.
- Troubleshoot the testing process when expected results are not obtained. Recommend and execute a path forward to resolve analysis problems.
- Interface with clients and project team members in a professional manner.
- Complete assigned project work within schedule and budget.
- Additionally, projects may require creation or revision of documentation, including project requirements, test plans, test reports, LOPs, etc. The ability to write clearly and effectively is a must.
- Travel (50%) to various CONUS locations for business related purposes and off-site training is expected. Temporary assignments may last from days to months. Relocation support to Aberdeen, MD is not available.
Battelle enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe working environment. Each incumbent is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling self-aid/buddy-aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks as requested, and serving on safety committees and teams as requested. In addition, the incumbent must accept the responsibility for maintaining the safety of themselves and others by adhering to all written and verbal instructions, promptly reporting and/or correcting all hazards or unsafe conditions, questioning nonstandard operations or environmental factors that may involve unmitigated hazards, and providing feedback to site leads and management on all safety issues.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Physical or Life Science or Engineering, with at least two semesters of college chemistry and a minimum of two years of chemical laboratory experience.
- Experience handling chemicals and familiarity with computers.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD clearance. The selected applicant may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet and maintain eligibility requirements to be placed in a Public Trust Position. In addition, applicant selected may be subject to qualification in accordance with Army Regulation 50-6, for placement in the U.S. Army Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (CPRP).
- Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities. This position may be required to work a rotating shift schedule (8-12 hours nominally), including weekends and holidays.
- Drug-free workplace; urine testing for drugs are mandatory.
- Incumbent will be involved in chemical laboratory operations and will handle dilute chemical warfare agent solutions. Incumbent must successfully pass medical screening, including the ability to wear personal protection equipment (PPE), lift up to 50 pounds, and work in the proximity of toxic chemicals. Must be clean-shaven.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor of Science or higher-level degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- 2-years hands-on experience operating GC instruments using FID and FPD detectors.
- 1-year experience with mass spectrometry.
- Knowledge of Agilent’s ChemStation software.
- Prior experience with EPA methods.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.