Manager (Laboratory Manager)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Manager (Laboratory Manager). This position is in Pueblo, Colorado.
The Laboratory Manager is responsible for directing and managing the all laboratory operations associated with all phases of construction, systemization, operations, and closure at the Pueblo Chemical Agent Destruction Pilot Plant (PCAPP). Provides World Class analytical laboratory services to support process and resident engineering, operations, environmental, safety, and quality processes at PCAPP to ensure the safe and timely destruction of chemical warfare agents.
The Laboratory Manager plans and manages Laboratory activities for the chemical demilitarization operation; establishes priorities; makes specific assignments and ensures compliance with established procedures; and plans, organizes and coordinates laboratory activities by adapting and modifying standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. The Manager communicates and is accountable for a laboratory preventive maintenance program that ensures safe, consistent, and efficient laboratory operations. Additionally, the Manager provides management and oversight of activities in every area of the main Laboratory required to support plant operational requirements.
The Laboratory Manager will have Laboratory and Agent Air Monitoring management responsibility for a second co-located demilitarization facility that is now being designed, referred as the Explosive Destruction Technology system in addition to normal PCAPP Laboratory Operations.This pilot plant project is a first of a kind plant for the destruction of multiple chemical warfare agents. It is the most complex of all previous chemical demilitarization facilities. As a result, the technical risk of this project is considerably high. This program receives local, national and international attention because it deals with explosively configured chemical weapons that are part of a multi-national treaty under international oversight. Battelle’s role and the focus of this position is to ensure the effectiveness of the technical approaches for analytical monitoring to ensure worker and public safety.
- Planning, initiating and managing all Laboratory activities for all assigned personnel, including Monitoring, Quality Control, and Analytical. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Acts as the key relationship manager with the client, other teaming contractors, the government, and oversight agencies for the laboratory. Serves as the intersection of the technical, business and human resources functions for the laboratory.
- Plans, initiates, and manages all Laboratory activities for all assigned personnel, including Monitoring and Analytical.
- Develops laboratory procedures and analytical methods to support the Air Monitoring and Analytical Branches during systemization and plant start-up. Although Battelle has operated laboratories at other chemical demilitarization facilities, this laboratory will be faced with several new technologies, and will need to develop laboratory methods with a high level of agility to support the client.
- Manages all phases of lab design, construction, systemization, pilot testing, operations and closure. Success requires that the manager demonstrates an extraordinary level of creativity and resourcefulness to implement the advanced technologies, scientific principles and concepts required to operate this facility. For the project to be successful, the laboratory will have to function to support the plant, and this position is one of the key positions with overall responsibility for ensure the lab functions.
- Manage all aspects of personnel management of Battelle staff, including interviewing, hiring, mentoring, disciplining, and terminating.
- Develops detailed staffing and hiring requirements to meet the monitoring and analytical requirements for plant operations.
- Establishes goals and conduct performance reviews for 5 direct reports and supervision oversight for remaining 141 laboratory staff.
- Attends Government and Client lab manager’s meetings and incorporates programmatic and site-specific lessons learned from the CMA Monitoring and Environmental Roundtables and ACWA Laboratory Managers Meetings to provide continuous improvements for all laboratory and plant processes. The PCAPP site hosts visitors from the local community, politicians and government officials from local, state, national and international organizations, as well as regulators from numerous agencies. One key interface is analysis of samples to validate international treaty compliance. These analyses are observed by representatives of the State Department and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
- Sets managerial direction and is accountable for results and activities relating to the laboratory, including scheduling and quality of service. This individual will be required to address site workers on technical issues as they arise. This individual will interface daily with plant operations management on complex issues.
- Responsible for the execution of approximately $40M/year budget (labor, materials, subcontracts) within scope, schedule and cost according to a validated Earned Value Management system. This is a significant portion of Battelle’s overall budget.
- Acts as the Control Account Manager for Laboratory and is responsible for cost, schedule, and scope.
- Coordinates the review of methods and procedures as required by the permit regarding precision, accuracy and bias.
- Supports the PCAPP safety culture and ensures a safe work environment.
- The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or an advanced degree in another science area with ten (10) years of direct applicable experience in chemistry laboratory operations, or fifteen years of applicable work experience in the field, is required.
- Five years of experience managing the operation of an analytical chemistry laboratory is required. Familiarity with Laboratory-type computer operations, programming, and software is required.
- A demonstrated knowledge of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, the Clean Air Act, and the Clean Water Act is required, with emphasis on hazardous waste treatment, storage, transportation and disposal regulations.
- Demonstrated written and oral communications skills that allow effective interaction with top management internally and within client organizations, subcontractors, consultants, and staff externally, is required.
- A demonstrated knowledge of laboratory and process QA/QC requirements is required.
- An extensive working knowledge of Battelle policies and procedures is preferred
Additional selection and retention criteria will include the ability to:
- Successfully pass medical screen, including the ability to wear a respirator and other PPE, lift up to 40 lbs.--may involve work in close proximity of toxic chemicals.
- Must be a US Citizen. The applicant selected will be subject to a national agency check security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements to be placed in a Public Trust Position.
- Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities. This position may be required to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays and on-call.
- Interact effectively with government and contractor personnel thru written correspondence or verbal communication.
- PCAPP is subject to Army Regulations (AR50-6 Chemical Surety Program and AR190-59 Unescorted Access Program) which govern persons performing work under the Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (CPRP) and Unescorted Access Program (UAP). Eligibility to be placed in a CPRP or UAP position requires US citizenship. Employees must favorably complete a series of screenings to include but not limited to: A National Agency Check with Local Agency Check and Credit Check (NACLC) security investigation, drug/alcohol testing and medical examination.
- PCAPP operates on a 24/7 schedule. This position may be required to work a schedule of rotating shifts including nights, weekends or holidays. All employees are subject to and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment for the duration of their assignment. Respiratory screening and the ability to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) may be required for this position. The ability to obtain/maintain access to the Pueblo Chemical Depot is required
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers