Building Control Operator
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Building Control Operator - 2nd shift. This position is in West Jefferson, OH.
The Building Control Operator is responsible for the Building Automation Systems (BAS) and maintains equipment in proper operating condition. The BCO will respond to and make decisions for corrective action to all alarms received on the BAS and performs preventative/predictive maintenance on the facilities support systems. This is a second shift position.
- Monitor and control the operation and maintenance of all mechanical systems equipment, including distribution systems, boilers, hot water tanks, ventilation equipment, lab equipment, motors, pumps, valves, compressors, chillers, and related environmental equipment to ensure safe and efficient operation.
- Monitors equipment to ensure operation is within specified parameters, especially to meet the requirements of conducting project work for clients; adjusts and repairs as necessary; conducts necessary tests and inspects system equipment and components to detect actual and potential mechanical problems that would affect system performance and takes corrective action.
- Operate the BAS and related software; ensure that system modifications and upgrades maintain or enhance overall system flexibility, responsiveness, and reliability.
- Implement an effective preventive maintenance program using the site’s computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); repair and adjust mechanical and electrical systems and controls; monitor and record effectiveness of maintenance activities; takes corrective actions when necessary to ensure the safety and reliability of critical mechanical systems in a laboratory environment.
- Establishes effective standards and procedures for operation of heating, air handling, electrical, and mechanical control systems; makes recommendations to management on the specifics of a site energy savings program; participates in periodic reviews to ensure compliance with applicable safety regulations and Battelle energy conservation guidelines.
- Start, stop, and adjust operating equipment in response to requests for changes. Troubleshoot and performs minor repairs in response to work orders about inadequate comfort levels.
- Performs preventative/predictive maintenance, repair, and adjust HVAC equipment to ensure the safety and reliability of critical mechanical systems.
- Respond to emergency calls during non-business hours and determines corrective actions, contact the appropriate staff member to make work assignments, and conduct necessary follow-up actions. Work overtime for activities related to HVAC, shutdowns, repairs, and emergency situations.
- Performs self-development activities sufficient to maintain craft specialty skills and certifications required to perform assigned tasks.
- Performs special tasks requiring similar duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Other Responsibilities for positions that support the BBRC located at West Jefferson, Ohio
- Responsible for coordinating facility related projects and maintenance with research staff to accomplish work on new and renovated labs, and ensures compliance with applicable Battelle guidelines as well as national, state, and local regulations and requirements. Must possess knowledge of GLP and AALAC requirements to support a research facility that specializes in chemical and bio-containment research.
- Responsible for maintenance and repair of normal and specialized laboratory equipment (i.e. incinerators, sterilizers, exhaust HEPA filters, bio-safety cabinets, tunnel/rack wash equipment, laundry equipment, watering systems, RO/DI water systems, compressed air, vacuum, etc.) based on knowledge of specialized facilities and operations.
- Serves as an escort for facilities related contracted services.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Requires a related technical degree plus one year of experience OR a high school education with three years’ experience
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret clearance. May be required to obtain special clearances and inoculations to work in labs containing biohazards or radioactive substances
- Must be able to work from building drawings, architectural plans, operational guides, and maintenance manuals common to the trade, as well as modify existing drawings and schematics to account for components that have been modified or added to the system
- Must have mechanical aptitude and a working knowledge of HVAC systems and operations, including electrical, electronic, and pneumatic control equipment for large building and laboratory automation systems
- Must be familiar with operation of a personal computer, and Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Must have experience with software commonly used for tracking and reporting system status in BAS and CMMS systems
- Must also have the knowledge of tools, materials, procedures, hazards of the trade, and possess the physical ability to perform manual labor, including work outdoors in inclement weather
- Initiative to actively pursue opportunities and training to maintain specialty skills and certifications required to perform assigned tasks
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to be productive with little or no direct supervision
- Must be able to use a communication device such as a cellular phone, or two-way radio during and after normal business hours, including weekends
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, good customer service skills, and ability to follow through and carry out assignments
- Responsible to be on-call on a rotational basis, responds to alarms during normal work hours and to emergency calls during non-business hours
- The job requires the physical ability to perform medium difficulty work, including lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling work materials and tools; ability to climb ladders, maintain balance, stoop, kneel and crouch to gain access to equipment components; ability to read meters and use tool accessories; acuity of vision for close work; depth perception and color vision
Additional selection and retention criteria will include the ability to:
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (NACLC required) and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program (Single Scope Background Investigation required for entry- this is background investigation performed for DoD TOP SECRET clearances), and Biological Suitability Assessment Program
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC approval to work with BSAT material.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) (biocontainment) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with FDA licensed vaccines and Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in random drug screening.
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision.
- Must be willing to work weekend, overtime, and holiday hours as needed
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Knowledge of Honeywell and Siemens BAS is a plus.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers