Metrologist (Calibration Technician)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Metrologist (Calibration Technician). This position is in Columbus, Ohio.
The Metrologist (Calibration Technician) will support the Instrumentation Services Laboratory at Battelle’s King Avenue campus. The Instrumentation Services Laboratory supports Battelle’s contract research laboratories and operations as well as corporate functions.
- Perform routine calibration and repairs for pipettes, weights, scales, balances and thermometers
- Create, maintain, and execute calibration procedures for various instrumentation and equipment
- Maintain calibration and repair schedules for internal staff
- Maintain calibration database for all internal instruments and monitor due dates, perform calibrations, and generate calibration paperwork (certificates and reports)
- Coordinate all calibration with external calibration vendors for instruments that cannot be calibrated internally
- Participate in audits by external bodies
- Review and update technical procedures and validate new calibration methods
- Participate in inter- and intra-laboratory proficiency testing
- Work with technical management and establish goals to expand calibration capabilities and establish scope approval for such capabilities under ISO/IES 17025
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- High School Diploma and at least two (2) years of experience as a Calibration Technician (Metrologist)
- Experience with quality management systems (ISO-17025, ISO-9001, etc.)
- Must be a US citizen
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening
- Newly hired employees are subject to a 90-day introductory period, during which their performance is evaluated by supervision
- Must have a valid driver's license
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS ARE DESIRED, BUT NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience calibrating pipettes, weights, scales/balances, humidity and/or electrical instruments
- Experience with MetCal software
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn Calibry Pipette calibration software
- Formal training or certifications in Metrology, such as Precision Measurement Equipment Course (PMEL) or TDME gained through the military is highly desirable and/or Associate Degree, or Bachelor Degree, in a technical discipline specific to calibration and instrumentation
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers