Cyber Analytics Intern
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Cyber Analytics Intern for Summer 2018. This position is in Columbus, OH. Come in for an interview to find out why Battelle is right for you.
Do you like developing and applying analytics tools to unconventional problems, working on research projects you are passionate about, and competitive mini basketball, and bumper pool? Battelle may be the company for you.
Battelle cyber analytics experts solve the toughest data science problems in the world. We work in small agile teams to push the bounds of computing technology. Our high-powered computer labs include specialized software and hardware, so our engineers have everything they need to invent new Cyber solutions.
Our team is casual. We usually wear t-shirts and jeans. We are a close-knit group and enjoy participating in social activities outside of work. Whether it is visiting local restaurants, bowling, Korean BBQ, or paintball we always have a good time.
Battelle is committed to its employee’s professional growth. We encourage new ideas with our large Internal Research and Development (IRAD) program where engineers work on projects they are passionate about.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Collaborate with the Cyber Innovations Team to aid in the design and implementation of machine learning, data mining, data fusion, and data engineering techniques applied to cyber security problems
- Support the latest Cyber Innovation Unit’s research and development programs
- Work closely with cyber security experts and engineers to develop effective data solutions
- Conduct and / or participate in assigned technical tasks and activities with minimum supervision and within time and budget constraints.
- Work independently and effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment; Effectively communicate ideas with other engineers; and Work with minimal supervision
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor or Graduate degree program in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or related field
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0) and at least 1-year of college level coursework completed
- Experience with high level software languages such as Python, R and Matlab
- Basic machine/statistical learning approaches and validation techniques
- Interest in one or more of the following areas:
- Deep neural network approaches
- Signal Processing
- Machine learning on graphs
- Semantic Technologies (e.g. Natural language processing, semantic web)
- Data integration (e.g. Hierarchical Bayes)
- Ability to demonstrate good organization, communication, problem-solving and teamwork skills
- Must be a sole US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a US government security clearance
THE FOLLOWING ARE DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ability to apply learned skills to real life scenarios (research, publication (including blogs, github, Arxiv), Kaggle competitions, internships, hack-a-thons, cyber security clubs, CTFs, etc.)
- Experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Big data methods
- Databases (SQL, NOSQL, graph DB)
- Experience writing or debugging software code in C or C++ or C#
- Reverse engineering hardware or software
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers