Medical Devices Embedded Software Engineering Coop (Fall Semester 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place
We are currently seeking an Embedded Software Engineering Coop for Fall Semester 2018. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
The Embedded Software Engineering Coop will work within Battelle’s Health and Consumer Solutions. This group is hired by external companies from startups to Fortune 100 to assist them with their product development needs. Clients choose to work with us because of a proven track record for developing innovative and marketable solutions to challenging technical problems. A large focus for the group is on medical device development. This has included projects for mass produced drug delivery devices, immunodiagnostic systems, neuro technology systems, large scale imaging systems, and more. Regardless of whether the device is in the user’s hands or part of a larger system of care, they all are driven by the same ambition - to positively affect the user’s health outcome.
The Embedded Software Engineering Coop will be an integral part of the multi-disciplinary teams that we form around each project and dedicate to achieving that project’s goal. Our team-based approach means you will work side-by-side with Electrical, Mechanical, and Systems Engineers; Electrical and Mechanical Designers and Technicians; Industrial Designers and Human Factors Engineers; Material Scientists, and any other disciplines needed for each project. Your coworkers will range from other co-ops and new graduates to those with 30+ years of experience. The unique backgrounds and work experiences brought by each team member lends diversity to the development process, which results in both product innovation as well as an engaging work environment.
We believe that internships/co-ops are a vital part of your education and growth as an engineer. Therefore we work hard to assign work experiences that not only build upon your previous classes, but also provide some context for the coursework to come. This position will also include an introduction to the numerous other disciplines and skillsets that typically comprise a project team such that the candidate will gain a more complete understanding of how embedded and software design fits into the overall product development process.
The successful candidate will envision, design, and test devices and systems for medical and consumer applications including:
- Supporting team members in design, conducting experiments, including data acquisition and analysis, assembly and fabrication of prototypes and equipment
- Some additional facets of product development such as concept generation, design, prototyping and verification may be possible pending project work load and candidates’ abilities
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Sophomore standing or higher in a computer science, computer/software engineering or electrical engineering curriculum or related field and with coursework emphasizing product design
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Experience with embedded and/or application software development design
- Demonstrated initiative to be a self-starter with a desire to learn that extends beyond the classroom
- Experience with Languages: C and/or C++
- Proven ability to successfully work independently or as part of a larger team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Excellent written and verbal skills
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Coursework or experience in Cyber Security desired
- Design and execution of tests, for validating the security of devices and systems is preferred
- Experience in developing software/firmware for: wireless connectivity including familiarity with protocols such as Bluetooth, Bluetooth Low Energy, or Zigbee; device drivers and signal processing code/Algorithms
- Work experience designing software using structured processes such as Agile or Agile-like software estimation
- Applicants in an established Co-op program or those available for more than one work term will be given preference. This includes either consecutive work terms or a rotation of work – school – work
- Familiarity with software design under medical device requirements, constraints, and processes
- Experience with statistical analysis and/or Design of Experiments
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers