Mechanical Engineering Co-op (Fall 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology, and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s Tactical Equipment team is currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer Co-op for Fall Semester 2018. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
The Tactical Equipment group is made up of engineers, designers, technicians, scientists and analysts contracted by the US Government to develop unique solutions to design challenges that often border on the impossible. The Mechanical Engineer Intern or Co-op will be an integral part of the multi-disciplinary teams that we form around each project.
Our team-based approach means you will work side-by-side with Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Materials Scientists and other disciplines needed for each project under time and budget restrictions to deliver specialized equipment for a variety of government and commercial customers. Your coworkers will range from other co-ops and new graduates all the way to those with 30+ years of experience. The unique backgrounds and work experiences brought by each team member lends diversity to the development process, which results in both product innovation as well as an engaging work environment.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated to execute tasks and report on their status. They are expected to persistently pursue the best solution to challenging problems through application of their own skills and by seeking and leveraging the inputs of collaborators. Some travel may be required (pending selected candidate's availability and class schedule.)
The successful candidate will envision, design, and test devices and systems for defense applications including:
- Supporting team members in developing mechanical products, subsystems and/or components
- Gaining hands-on experience through assembly and testing work in the lab
- Communicating results and progress using written and oral communication to the project team
- Participating in other facets of product development such as concept generation, prototyping, analysis, etc. as much as project work load and the candidate’s abilities allow.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Sophomore standing or higher in a B.S. Mechanical Engineering curriculum and currently enrolled in an ABET-accredited university
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain government security clearances
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated initiative to be a self-starter with a desire to learn that extends beyond the classroom
- Proven ability to successfully work independently or as part of a larger team
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Extra-curricular hands-on experience that involves fabrication, integration, control and/or repair of mechanical systems
- Experience using SolidWorks and/or Pro/E mechanical drawing tools
- Experience using FEA analysis tools, such as ANSYS or Abaqus
- Experience using LabView and/or scientific programming language such as MATLAB or Python
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers