DARPA Vice President of Business Development
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a DARPA Vice President of Business Development. This position is located in Arlington, VA. Strong candidates located in a major U.S. city will be considered.
Battelle is seeking a Business Development Leader in support of new business opportunities with the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA). The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of a new business pipeline, opportunity identification, qualification, shaping, competitive positioning, and strategy leading to the successful capture of multiple opportunities. The successful candidate will also have comprehensive knowledge and be considered a thought-leader across the DARPA missions and domains. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining executive level relationships with key decision makers and influencers in DARPA, supporting multiple business units in the pursuit of strategic growth in DARPA, and winning technology related research and development contracts. A broad view of the Department of Defense’s desired next-generation capabilities and the strategic aspirations of DARPA is essential. The candidate will report to the Battelle Contract Research Vice President of Business Development.
The Vice President of Business Development for DARPA will be responsible for directing and coordinating a wide range of tactical and complex growth-related activities including:
- Developing, maintaining and growing an extensive network of relationships with existing and potential Battelle clients within DARPA.
- Cultivating relationships with current and potential teaming partners (small and large businesses, academic institutions, and other research organizations) as appropriate.
- Assisting the Battelle Business Units in developing their vision, goals and growth strategies for the DARPA market.
- Developing and coordinating a DARPA account plan that incorporates an assessment of the DARPA market relative to the Battelle capabilities, the business unit growth strategies, and an assessment of the primary competitors.
- Developing an opportunity pipeline and leading the customer-facing efforts to qualify, shape, and capture strategic opportunities that support Battelle business unit missions and goals.
- Identifying and structuring opportunities where unmet client needs can be satisfied by internal research and development investments, thereby allowing Battelle to bring new capabilities or offerings to DARPA clients.
- Providing market and competitor intelligence on market segments where the BUs are engaged, as well as insights on competition specific to individual opportunities, at DARPA.
- Identifying, cultivating, and establishing teaming agreements with key strategic partners based on analysis of customer needs and Battelle capability gaps.
- Developing strategic relationships for strategic campaigns and specific markets.
- Supporting capture management and proposal development teams in establishing win strategies, teaming approaches, pricing strategies, and proposal development strategies and themes which clearly differentiate Battelle from other potential providers of technology solutions.
- Assisting the Business Unit General Managers in the efficient and effective use of marketing resources across multiple client organizations to achieve growth and maintain margins.
- Contributing to the development of effective legislative initiatives to support DARPA-related business strategies and plans.
- Actively contributing to business-related activities at the senior-executive level, to include participation on applicable Boards, Industry Associations, and other relevant activities.
- Candidates should demonstrate knowledge and experience with cutting-edge technologies, including cyber, genomics, CBRNE, and hardware systems. Candidate will apply this technical knowledge in coordinating white papers in a variety of technical areas with the goal of generating new business at DARPA.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Biomedical, or Science-related technical field and 15+ years of experience in business development and at least five years of DARPA experience.
- Must be a US citizen with ability and willingness to obtain a Top Secret Clearance. Current Active TS Clearance preferred.
- Existing network of contacts within DARPA and the ability to leverage these into qualified business opportunities.
- Knowledge of competitors in this market space and experience in competitive assessment.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and evaluating large government proposals.
- Must have demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills coupled with demonstrated ability to prepare and present technical presentations to internal and external clientele
- Ability and willingness for frequent travel to the Battelle Columbus, OH Headquarters.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s degree.
- Experience selling consulting/engineering/manufacturing services preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Client Relationship Management (CRM) tool.
- The preferred location for this position is in Battelle’s Arlington, VA office; but strong candidates located in a major U.S. city will be considered
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers