Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Assistant Controller. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for accounting, internal and external reporting. Leads GAAP/IFRS/FRS technical accounting research; oversees financial systems and information processing; supports a strong internal control environment, including compliance and implementation. The Assistant Controller will also coordinate the external audit of the consolidated financial statements and stay abreast of changes to accounting requirements and support their implementation.
- Responsible for the operational direction of the Corporate Accounting department which includes management of the general ledger. Directs Corporate Accounting requirements including the consolidation of the financial statements and related financial management reporting and metrics.
- Responsible for preparing and issuing of the audited consolidated financial statements in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Provides guidance and ensures compliance on GAAP and Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) internal control issues and recommends and implements related policies accordingly. Directs the maintenance of general ledger accounts, correcting and closing journal entries, account reconciliations and general ledger activities.
- Manages financial reporting & accounting system and process improvements.
- Responsible for the accounting and reporting of all domestic and international subsidiaries (including oversight of the related statutory audits).
- Provides advisory and thought leadership to peers and senior management as it relates to conformity with GAAP, COSO and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Reviews, recommends and disseminates to management proper accounting treatment for Battelle and subsidiaries in accordance with new or revised guidance for existing and new business activities.
- Directs the tracking, reporting and control of internal property and equipment assets. Responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of strong internal controls related to asset inventories, tracking and disposals. In addition, ensure required audits are completed favorable and timely.
- Provides input and support to the strategic direction for the financial systems structure and design and implements the required support for Battelle Corporate Operations. Also, provides guidance to subsidiaries on financial systems strategy and implementation, as required.
- Leads special projects, including initiatives to address potential control deficiencies and improve key business processes and systems.
- Responsible for the management of human resources including the training of staff, appraising performance and managing staff development plans. Establishes priorities for budget allocations and expenditures for the group.
- Develops financial reports to review business trends and evaluate margins.
- Investigates significant financial and non-financial trends and variances in financial data and reporting.
- Provides ad hoc reporting and analysis support.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance and a minimum of 10-15 years of related experience, including involvement in the application of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and experience in Financial and Cost Accounting; or equivalent education and years of experience.
- Active CPA License.
- Strong understanding and application a COSO internal control framework (e.g. SOX).
- Must possess effective communication and negotiation skills to deal with all levels of management and the ability to resolve complex non-recurring problems with novel and creative solutions.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Prior experience in a Public Accounting Firm.
- Prior experience working for a government contractor.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers