Research Associate (Human DNA Laboratory Scientist)
Battelle is the world’s largest, independent research and development organization, working to advance scientific discovery and application. We are accelerating innovation by bringing people, science and technology together to provide innovative solutions to address the world’s most pressing needs.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Human DNA Laboratory Scientist. This position is located in Charlottesville, VA.
Battelle has a long history of supporting the U.S. Government in biosurveillance, detection and identification using a variety of technologies for advanced identification and characterization. Our Applied Genomics and Biology Business is currently seeking a full-time Human DNA (hDNA) Laboratory Analyst to provide laboratory and data analysis support for forensic hDNA lab applications.
- Support laboratory efforts related to the development, optimization and validation of forensic DNA methods and workflows; and associated data analysis
- Presentation and reporting of progress and results to senior scientists
- Laboratory and equipment maintenance to ensure smooth functioning of data generation within designated time frames
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, genetics, forensic science (specializing in hDNA), or other related field with at least two years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in forensic hDNA laboratory analysis and/or DNA sequencing technologies (e.g. massively parallel sequencing, microarrays, etc)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work in a team environment
- Sole U.S. citizenship, with Current TS/SCI Security Clearance
- Sufficiently medically fit to work in the laboratory to perform assigned duties
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Five+ years of relevant laboratory experience
- Demonstrated experience applying DNA sequencing technologies for forensic applications
- Demonstrated experience conducting laboratory research activities, including method development and data interpretation
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers