Lead Medical Products Engineer, Cybersecurity
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle has been developing medical devices, ranging from FDA Class I to highly complex FDA Class III for more than 25 years, and we are experienced in developing products in a highly regulated FDA environment. Additionally, Battelle is an established thought leader position in Medical Device Cybersecurity. Our experienced teams combine industry-leading expertise in cybersecurity, medical device design, hardware, and software development under an ISO 13485-compliant quality system. Battelle clients are well-known medical device companies, and for many of them we are their selected partner for medical device cybersecurity design reviews, SOP development, and vulnerability testing.
We support our clients by providing project-specific guidance and recommendations based on our vast experience in medical device development and cybersecurity industry standards, best practices, and emerging trends. This includes:
- Evaluating their post-market or in-process device designs for cybersecurity risk and threat assessment, secure designs and system vulnerabilities, cybersecurity preparedness, and risk management.
- Helping them prepare for and navigate 3rd party accreditation, certification, or testing submissions, including UL2900, NIST 800 series, AAMI TIR-57, and Mayo Clinic’s security testing.
- Creating or evaluating their corporate governance policies.
We are currently seeking a Lead Medical Products Engineer, Cybersecurity. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
Working as a part of a team, this position:
- Contributes to the cybersecurity design aspects of medical device product development projects which includes evaluating and recommending changes to product design to mitigate potential cybersecurity risk.
- Supports project execution by interfacing with our client’s product focused team and Battelle’s assigned project execution team.
- Supports business development opportunities with existing and new clients by interfacing with product security department leaders to plan and scope projects or consulting services to meet their needs.
- Supports the preparation, and/or presentation of proposals, work products, and project deliverables to our clients.
- Participates in conferences, workshops, and panels to support Battelle’s marketing efforts.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent technical degree and 10 - 15 years applicable experience, OR
- M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent technical degree and 8 - 10 years applicable experience, OR
- PhD in computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent technical degree and 5 - 8 years of applicable experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience related to embedded or application software for medical devices
- Strong understanding of embedded system functional components (Bootloader, chain of trust, operating systems) and knowledgeable of their different levels of functionality
- Strong understanding of standard communication protocols (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, BLE), and can speak to the high-level security challenges associated with each
- Knowledge of cybersecurity for embedded systems, with an understanding of the cybersecurity issues and common solutions for the different layers of embedded and connected systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Candidate must be self-motivated, organized, and a problem solver who works well both alone and with a team
- Background in programming/security research
- Experience in Defense Programming and Defensive Design techniques
- Experience with various security tools for auditing security of a system (IDA, Nessus, Wireshark, Kali, Fuzzers, etc.)
- Experience in task management, planning and leading activities
Battelle’s Consumer, Industrial, and Medical Business Line is hired by external companies from startups to Fortune 100 to assist them with their product development needs. Clients choose to work with us because of a proven track record for developing innovative and marketable solutions to challenging technical problems. A significant portion of our work is focused on developing medical devices. This has included projects for mass produced drug delivery devices, immunodiagnostic systems, surgery tools, large scale imaging systems, and more. Regardless of whether the device is in the user’s hands or part of a larger system of care, they all are driven by the same ambition - to positively affect the user’s health outcome.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers