Engineering Modeler-Programmer Intern (Summer 2018)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking Engineering Modeler-Programmer Interns for Summer 2018. This position located in Columbus, OH.
Battelle’s Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Defense business, in our National Security Global Business, is currently seeking persons with knowledge of physical phenomena and programming savvy. The Hazard Modeling Team within CBRNE Defense provides its customers with technical analyses as well as modeling capabilities to inform their preparedness and response planning efforts to mitigate risk to the United States or their company. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to make this Nation and Battelle’s clients better prepared and safer.
- Support to model development activities for inhalation, ingestion, dermal, and radiation exposure hazards.
- Support to model development activities for responding to hazardous events.
- Design and develop graphical user interfaces for mathematical models.
- Model testing for accuracy and performance.
- Model input data collection, reduction, processing, and presentation.
- Write reports of methods used and results obtained.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in, Chemical, Civil, Computer Science (or equivalent), Environmental, Food, Nuclear, or Biological Engineering
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Completed coursework in mathematics (e.g., calculus, differential equations, linear algebra).
- Initial coursework in computer science and mathematical modeling.
- Moderate experience using object oriented programming in C++, C#, JAVA, or python (Matlab, LabVIEW, Mathcad, Mathematica are not considered as programing experience for this position) for significant classroom assignments, undergraduate research, or other work experience.
- Ability to learn and understand new programing languages.
- Coursework in statistics or probability (at least one formal class).
- Coursework in engineering (e.g., transport phenomenon, reaction kinetics).
- Must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret DoD clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Planning on obtaining a minor, certificate, or emphasis in computer science or equivalent coursework experience or, undergraduate research requiring the use of object oriented programing.
- Significant programming experience in C++, C#, JAVA, or python (Matlab, LabVIEW, Mathcad, Mathematica are not considered as programing experience for this position).
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers