Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Study Implementer. This position is located in Frederick, MD.
The Study Implementer is to serve as a lead Scientist for research projects focused on host/pathogen interactions and medical countermeasure development at the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Integrated Research Facility (IRF) located at Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland. The individual in this position will direct, manage and conduct efforts to develop and evaluate animal models for high consequence viral pathogens. Additional efforts will focus on in vitro and in vivo efficacy assessments of medical countermeasures. The candidate will be tasked with performance of various molecular, virologic, microscopic and immunologic assays. He/she will also be responsible for management of study performance, review and analysis.
Research Duties include:
- Serve as a lead Scientist for assigned research projects to include in vitro and in vivo medical countermeasure development and in vivo and ex vivo viral pathogenesis studies
- Collaborate with researchers internal and external to the IRF to perform research projects as assigned
- Supervisory responsibilities to assigned technical staff, as applicable
- Analyze and interpret data from assigned studies
- Prepare and edit study protocols, reports, data summaries and manuscripts for assigned projects, as necessary or requested
- Lead development of applicable methods or standard operating procedures (SOP)
- Manage assigned study planning, scheduling, and staffing requirements
- Present research data in laboratory meetings or national/international conferences, as appropriate
- Identify and solve common problems relating to laboratory methodology, instrumentation and procedures
- Participate in development of assays used in the laboratory
General Lab Duties include:
- General lab organization and maintenance
- Participate in general laboratory housekeeping, to include biohazard waste management
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Data analysis programs such as GraphPad Prism
- Understanding of laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- PhD with at least 2-5 years of post-PhD experience in conducting in vivo research
- Have demonstrated study management experience managing complex in vitro and in vivo studies
- Have a broad range of skills in working with techniques routinely used in virology, molecular biology, immunology, and/or biochemistry, including:
- Virological assays, fluorescent microscopy, virus stock preparation and virus titration
- Clinical assays, animal models, and medical countermeasure efficacy studies
- Viral Select Agents
- Demonstrated skills and experience to establish and optimize or adapt assays and methods based on published experimental work
- Experience in virus-infectivity assays (e.g. infection, plaque assays, and qRT-PCR)
- Ability to work independently and adapt to changing environments and tasks.
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and communication skills within all levels of organization
- Ability to analyze data, write manuscripts and reports
- Fluency in English
- US citizen or permanent resident.
- Ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Must be willing to work in a biosafety level 2 (BSL2) and/or 3 (BSL3) and/or 4 (BSL 4) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Individual must be able to meet the requirements for Public Trust Level 5b.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED AND NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Previous BSL-3 or BSL-4 containment experience
- Experience in cloning, DNA/RNA work and PCR
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers