Environ, Safety & Health Tech II
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Environment, Safety & Health Technician II to support Battelle's Hazardous Waste Operations group. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
Under direct supervision performs routine and non-routine tasks related to Environment, Safety, & Health activities such as:
- On and off-site treatment, storage, packaging, transport and/or disposal of hazardous materials
- Surveillance and documentation of radiological work areas in accordance with radiological control regulations.
- Assists in maintaining inventory and storage of hazardous materials (including radioactive and potentially radioactive substances).
- Participates in processing hazardous materials which includes receiving, logging, labeling, segregating, classifying, and packaging.
- Assists in inspections to ensure compliance with the organization's policies, procedures, regulations and standards related to hazardous sites.
- Responds to emergency situations involving hazardous materials incidents at Battelle office locations.
- Responds to radiological incidents to ensure employee and environmental safety.
- Assists with testing and servicing equipment and systems.
- Performs and documents air, water, solid and surface radioactivity/radiation surveys using instruments designed to detect type and level of activity.
- Determines usage and maintenance of nuclear containment apparatus.
- May be required to operate tractors and other heavy machinery after training.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Associate degree in a technical field AND a minimum of 3 years’ related experience OR High School diploma with a minimum of 5 years’ related experience.
- Experience using computers and standard software programs (such as MS-Office).
- Must be willing and able to wear required personal protective equipment (up to Level A) and perform assigned duties.
- Must have ability to frequently bend, lift, stoop, and transport containers weighing 50 to 750 pounds with partial assistance from carts, dollies, forklifts, etc.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds to waist level and 50 pounds to shoulder level.
- Must be able to be on feet for most of the work shift
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Willing and able to work overtime hours including evening, weekend, and/or holiday hours.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- HAZWOPER 40-hour trained with current 8-hour refresher training.
- Emergency Response experience.
- Prior hazardous waste management experience.
- Prior hazardous waste lab pack disposal experience (40 CFR 173.12).
- Radioactive Materials Training (10 CFR).
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager.
- Forklift Operator trained.
- Confined Space entry/rescue experience.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.